Info for a new mac user

kplonk

Registered
Hello,

I really need a bit of info. I am setting up an open director server for a group of Mac’s. (I am from a windows server background). I have this all working but am not user what facilities the setup should offer to the users.

For example, once successfully logged on I would expect the user not to have to enter there password again to use the server, things such as share points. Is this right?

I have a number of shear points some of which are network mounted but the users do not have access to them. They should I think. For example I have one network mount that create an alias in the users drive but when they click on it they have no access? Any ideas what this may be?

Thanks Kieran.

We have an xserve here at work and it operates just like a big, fast hard drive and we have to enter a password to get into it--just as you would accessing a network.

There are very few books out there on xserve maintenance/info, but I will check with the IT guy I work with--he just did some research on the matter and I think he found a book that will help you tremendously.

If you are in OS X the user can drag the server icon to their doc after they connect (after password entry) and they can click that icon. They still have to enter their password every time, though, for security purposes I think.

You might have to make sure all your users have access priveledges to your server.

kay. That's the extent of what I know. :)

kplonk said:
Hello,

I really need a bit of info. I am setting up an open director server for a group of Mac’s. (I am from a windows server background). I have this all working but am not user what facilities the setup should offer to the users.

For example, once successfully logged on I would expect the user not to have to enter there password again to use the server, things such as share points. Is this right?

I have a number of shear points some of which are network mounted but the users do not have access to them. They should I think. For example I have one network mount that create an alias in the users drive but when they click on it they have no access? Any ideas what this may be?

Thanks Kieran.

Depends on how you set up your server. For example, you said you have a Windows background, do you have an Active Directory? Would you want to use the Kerberos service on the AD to provide authentication to your Xserve and login info for your Mac OS X clients? Are you trying to share your data out over SMB or AFP? The difference in data transfer mechanisms will impact the setup you need on your server for AD Kerberos use.

How are you pushing the network mount to the desktop machines? Are you doing this with MCX data from an Open Directory Master (which souldn't be joined to AD) or is it scripted somewhere?

Could use a little more explaination to get you to where you want to be! :)

Back