INSANE! (Virginia Tech)

... I have a question: What the HELL are they going to DO with a cluster like that? Render Pixar movies in a matter of minutes? Server the entire internet off of them? What?

Originally posted by voice-
How hot do you suppose that room is by now?

I heard it is supposed to be a chilly 60 degrees Fahrenheit with them all going full blast. The real question is what does the air conditioner look like :)

Originally posted by adambyte
... I have a question: What the HELL are they going to DO with a cluster like that? Render Pixar movies in a matter of minutes? Server the entire internet off of them? What?

Here adambyte:
http://computing.vt.edu/research_computing/terascale/pressrelease.html

The official Press Release and a part from there:
"Virginia Tech researchers are already active in a number of areas that will benefit from the new supercomputing facilities, says Kevin Shinpaugh, director of research and cluster computing for the university. These include: nanoscale electronics, quantum chemistry, computational chemistry, aerodynamics through multidisciplinary design optimization, molecular statics, computational acoustics, and the molecular modeling of proteins."

thanks, Hulkaros. Crazy stuff.

1,100 CPUs multiplied by dual processors, multiplied by dual gigahertz = ... 4,400 gigahertz, eh?

4,400 Ghz!? Crap...100 Ghz = 1 Terahertz right? No, thats terabyte...can someone clarify please? What comes after Ghz?

Btw, I wonder if they'll run SETI@home on it :p

Isn't the gigabit-network slowing down the whole system? Not talking about the bandwidth, but the latency period...

Originally posted by Stridder44
4,400 Ghz!? Crap...100 Ghz = 1 Terahertz right? No, thats terabyte...can someone clarify please? What comes after Ghz?

Btw, I wonder if they'll run SETI@home on it :p

It's 4.4 TeraHertz.

This has all been covered in the other thread about the VT cluster... except the pictures.

I think I'll set up my sleeping bag in there and just die a happy man. :)

Back