Inside the PowerBook 12"

You cannot access to the harddisk without openning the cover panel... unlike TiBook you can see the harddisk when you open the back cover. PowerBook 12" is more like the iBook. But I still wait for someone to confirm this...

The 12" PB is just like the iBook. Other than being a tad bit smaller, its design is almost identical. I think the insides are different however because the PB is warm on the opposite side the iBook is. I don't think the keyboard is removeable as well.

The PB does have a nicer fit and finish than the iBook and does feel more solid. The Aluminum is nice and has a texture to it.

Originally posted by ddma
You cannot access to the harddisk without openning the cover panel... unlike TiBook you can see the harddisk when you open the back cover. PowerBook 12" is more like the iBook. But I still wait for someone to confirm this...

of course you can! it's just a pain in the b*** to get there but hey: If there's a will, there's a way! I have replaced a hard disk in one of the recent (some 2002 serie) iBooks and I swear to my mother it was no easy task (especially getting that piece of plastic %@#* of a top case part off the bottom case) but I did it. As long as they don't weld seal (not sure if this expression exists in English) the case you can always access your Mac's guts.

why would u wanna replace the hard disk ?
firewire:) just connect an external hard disk to it and everythin becomes much easier :)
openin the PB and replacin the HD is too risky and time consuming and A PAIN IN THE ASS :)

doemel, I know I *CAN* access to the harddisk and I even had overclocked my iBook from 500/60 to 600/100 :cool: But the feature of replacing the harddisk is the tradition of PowerBook so I am surprised that Apple has removed this feature in the smallest PowerBook. :(

I was thinking of getting a 5,400 rpm harddisk for the PowerBook. But now I only have chance to use Firewire harddisk.

Anyways, I am still going to get the 12" one.

:)

If I were you, I'd first test the internal harddrive. I think it's fast enough right now, and a 5400rpm one won't give you much more. In fact less. There were tests somewhere on the web. Sure, in a year or so, it would be convenient if you could just pop the HD out and another one in, but I rather have a compact and more rigid PowerBook... :)

Holy smokes, that's almost as ugly as taking apart my old Vaio 550z to do a hard drive swap... now THAT was a pain in the arse!

Originally posted by kendall
here's some online instructions on how to void your 12" PB warranty. :p

http://deafchurch.net/hdswap/

it would seem the 12" PB gets extremely hot prompting this user to replace the HD in hopes that might help the situation.

Back