Install Tiger via Remote

leinad256

Registered
Hi! I have a old ibook g4 which have some bad issues with the cd room drive.... Im trying to find if is posible install Tiger from my other computer (Imac Intel) via network and how I could do it. Im trying to verify if it is posible with Apple Remote Desktop.

thanks!

Connect them with an ethernet cable, and boot the old Mac to target mode (hold down T key when booting it). It will be seen on the intel Mac as an external hard drive, and you should be able to select it for installing the system from the PPC version of Mac OS X install disc.

Hi, I tryed, but my ibook dont wanna show in my imac intel...Im using a ethernet cable, but the ibook shows something like firewire icon. Maybe I need to use a firewire cable, but I would prefer use a ethercable (im lazy to buy one)...any idea?

TDM only works with firewire, I believe.

I would boot the intel machine into TDM, and put the OS X install disk in that. Connect the PPC machine to the intel machine, start up holding the option key, and you should see the Tiger DVD. Installing OS X onto the PPC machine from the Intel machine might be a bad idea as they use different architectures.

Connect them with a FIREWIRE cable, and boot the old Mac to target mode (hold down T key when booting it). It will be seen on the intel Mac as an external hard drive, and you should be able to select it for installing the system from the PPC version of Mac OS X install disc.

Pick up a Firewire cable from your local computer store, use it to connect the firewire ports on each mac directly to each-other. You then boot up the Mac you want to install onto (the one with the bad CD drive) while holding the "T" key, and it will force that Mac to pretend it is an external firewire hard drive. A firewire logo will appear on screen to let you know that is working.

Put the OSX install CD into the other Mac, and launch the installer. In the installer, when you get to "Select destination" make sure you choose the Mac you want to install onto; its drive will appear there as an external HDD.

thanks guys!
I was googling and yes, TDM just works with firewire, not with ethernet.
I will buy a firewire cable, and it seems easy to do.

cya and thanks again!

Back