installing an NIC in 10.2.8

cmetom

Registered
hello all,

i wish to install a 2nd network card on my b&w G3.
looking here: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/os_x_network_cards.html#smc
it seems several people have successfully installed an SMC 1211TX card, but on older PowerMacs.

now the driver is available following the link on that page above, but i don't know what to do with it. the accompanying text file stated to extract the "FastEther.ketx" file and put it into /System/Library/Extentions and reboot. I did this but there is still not a second NIC appearing in System Profiler or anywhere. The 1211 device is listed as being installed in a PCI slot, in the Profiler.

can anyone shed some light on manually installing OSX drivers, or perhaps even installing darwin / BSD compatible drivers (for any network card) on OSX? much appreciated, as I'm a newbie when it comes to Mac OSs.

System:
G3 350@400; 1024Mb PC133 SDRAM; ATI Radeon 7000 PCI 64Mb; SMC 1211TX PCI Network Card.
OSX 10.2.8; All latest relevant updates.

cmetom

yep.

i do that, and go "add new" and it says "name:____" and "port:___"
the "port" option is a dropdown box and only lists the modem and built-in ethernet...

what's happening in my eyes is that i'm loading the driver and it may or may not be successful, but nowhere i know to look lists "eth1" (for instance)

ok, irrelevant to the second card, you can have multiple configurations on the one card, and you can route between them!!! unbelievable!!

cheers for that link, gsahli!!

Back