Installing Classic

3mors

HampCake Studios
This is my situation:
I have a powerbook g4 with only one partition in which there is os x 10.1.1 without classic.
I'd like to install also the classic environment, but I don't know how without losing all the settings.

Does someone know how?

Thanx,

I'm not sure what settings you're afraid of losing. Can you elaborate?

My advice to you is to go right ahead and install MacOS 9 onto the same partition as MacOS X: You won't lose a thing. You'll be able to select either MacOS 9 or MacOS X in the Startup Disk control panel and boot from either one, no problem.

If you're concerned about the preferences you've set for MacOS 9 on some other disk or volume then copy the Preferences folder over from the original MacOS 9 volume.

Ok. I've already ask a guy this same question and he answered me that I'd to reinstall all the OSs, if I wouldn't have another partition to put OS 9.
I have only one partition and I don't want to reinstall all.
If there isn't any problem, how can I install the OS 9 over OS X?
Thanx,

certainly don't go reformatting just to reinstall. You do not have to have a seperate partition if you don't want one. that's just some people's preference. sorry about putting the wrong link up above. I must not have gotten the correct one copied and so pasted the one from a previous post. hmm, none of my links to threads in other posts work anymore and i can't find the thread i was trying to refer to. sorry i don't have time to give full info here but i'll try to get to this tonite sometime if you have not solved your problem by then. try searching site for osx/classic cause i know there are threads on this somewhere.

When you install Mac OS 9 the installer copies files into two main places: a folder named "System Folder" and another folder named "Applications (MacOS 9)." These locations conflict not at all with MacOS X and it is therefore perfectly safe to add these files to the same hard disk partition as Mac OS X. Of course you should back up your documents if you're concerned there may be a problem, but simply copying files to your drive - which is all the installer does - is a fairly innocuous event.

the thread i was looking for involved someone in the same situation who could not get classic to install without classic already being on the disk. if his is part of your problem there are some work arounds, easiest ones being if you have more drives or an extra cd reader likea cdrw. if this is part of issue let us know and we will address that, otherwise i believe slur is totally right and you should have no problems or worries. you can even reinstall osx over osx and not lose your preference settings for it - i know because i've been there, done that.

So, I've to do in this way:

I've OSX installed.
I boot with OS9 CD inserted.
I press C.
I install OS9.
I reboot

and

I've my OSX and Classic installed.

Right??

If so, thanx for the help ... even if U could tell me it in advance without other explanations ;)

"you can even reinstall osx over osx and not lose your preference settings for it - i know because i've been there, done that."

Just a side note about Ed Spruiell's post about installing OS X over OS X.

If you're running 10.1.1, that means you had to have installed the Security Update. In which case, you can't reinstall over 10.1.1 with a 10.1 CD Install. The security update actually modifies your system in such a way that the only way to "reinstall" over a previous install of OS X is to backup your user folder and do a format and reinstall of OS X 10.1 and go through all the updates again.

so kaos, how did i do it? and why did another person in another thread follow my advice and it worked for him - twice. I am not doing magic or hacking anything. I just did it. He just did it. Now I haven't tried it with just a 10.1 straite install disk. we both used our original 10.0.3 disks then did each successive update to arrive at 10.1.1. You're right if you're saying you can't just 'reupdate". but if you're saying you can't reinstall from scratch, you're wrong.
What you say may be what some document says somewhere on apple's site, but it isn't true in practice. At least not on 2 machines it has been tried on.
I don't suggest anyone try it just to prove either of us right, but if it needs to be done, it needs to be done.:cool:

And I will emphasize again, REFORMATTING SHOULD ALWAYS BE YOUR LAST OPTION!!!!! this isn't personal, but people who want to solve everything with a quick reformat (note the oxymoron) are usually wrong and not thinking it all the way thru most of the time. yes, that was screaming you heard back there:) have a nice day!!

Back