Intermittent SMTP send failure with Mail.App?

jpollock

Registered
Hey folks,

I help out some people who use Mail.App in 10.3.9, and they have this problem where Mail.App will sporadically fail to send out messages with an SMTP error (and if the user has a 2nd account set up, Mail.App will offer to send the message through the 2nd account's SMTP server). If you click "Try Again", it won't work no matter how long you wait. But if you click "send later", and then go immediately to the item in the Outbox and send it, it goes through with no hitch to the same SMTP server that it rejected the first time. Because the problem is sporadic, I can't tell if it's an Airport problem (these machines are all using Airport cards), or an intermittent network problem, or a Mail.App problem, but I'm skeptical of it being an intermittent network problem because they would see delays or issues with their other internet-based apps, and they're not. So I was wondering if anyone else has contended with this.

The SMTP server is on-site (in fact, on the same subnet as the machines in question), and has no reports in its logs of any trouble (nor does it report a connection failure). The SMTP server is multi-homed, but that shouldn't affect anything.

Back