iPhone release date maybe delay to late June or early July

xiaoxiaoluo

Registered
Insiders from apple said that apple iPhone release date maybe delay to the end of June or early July.

Refer to this article taking about software Q/A and OS issues about iPhone.

While people like AT&T’s COO and Apple themselves continue to maintain that the iPhone is still on track for June, everyone is still skeptical that something else is probably brewing behind closed doors. After all, Apple told us that Leopard was on track for Spring just a couple weeks before they announced that it was being pushed ’till October, and some sources have told Ars that they were made aware of the October date by Apple long before the rest of the world knew.That information is confirmed once again by a close source this morning, and he has some not-so-great news about that pesky iPhone delay rumor. He Who Shall Not Be Named™ has told us, “Apple knew two months ago that Leopard was going to be delayed since all of the key engineers are now in Taipei.”

Somebody from Foxconn/Hon Hai that “it does not look feasible that Apple will be able to ship units out in May to make the iPhone shipping date in the US (June),expect units to trickle by end of June or early July."It is doubtful they will have enough units on hand to meet the demand.”

Insiders said The issue with the iPhone is not the battery, but the software Q/A and OS-related issues.

The end of June is the _official_ release date since last week's (or the week before that?) announcement of Apple.

Those prices, however, are still irrelevant until we know how they're bundled with connection plans. To make any good use of an iPhone, you'll want to have an unlimited data rate plan imho, which means money, money, money. If the iPhone costs 499/599 regardless of the connection plan (and all that's been said so far sounds like it), this means it's rather expensive compared to other phones or smartphones. Of course it's _the_ iPhone. Whether that's reason enough to shell out the big bucks remains to be seen.

Since I'm not in the US, I'll have to wait anyway, but even if I lived in the US, I'd wait a little and see the reviews first. Questions still unanswered for me:

1.) How does a day look on the iPhone if you listen to tunes for an hour in the morning and an hour on the way home, use it for E-Mail and phone calls throughout the day without recharging? Is the battery empty when you get home - or earlier even?

2.) Is the application set restricted to what Apple cares to offer? Does that mean that you'll _never_ be able to simply go online and buy a 3rd party app that manages a task you seriously want to get done on your smartphone?

3.) Is the iPhone, therefore, really smarter than a smartphone - or was that "smartphones aren't really smart" just marketing-trashtalk to hype up the iPhone?

I've just bought a treo 680 here in Switzerland (incredible deal right now, about 300-320 dollars without contract) and love how there's soooooooooooo much freeware/shareware around addressing specific needs. Since I use my smartphones to write stories as well, I think the qwertz-keyboard serves me better than an on-screen one would, although I'll have to test the iPhone once it arrives here.

For what its worth, I don't think the release date will be pushed back - but they will almost certainly be in short supply and big demand for those first few weeks. Not really surprising or worrying, as far as I can see.

Steve Jobs at the recent D5 conference in Carlsbad, CA said 'end of June' and didn't specify how close to the end he meant. He had a wry smile...check out the vid on creativebits.org.

I'm sure they are working around the clock to make sure they don't end up with egg on their face July 1. ;)

Those prices, however, are still irrelevant until we know how they're bundled with connection plans. To make any good use of an iPhone, you'll want to have an unlimited data rate plan imho, which means money, money, money. If the iPhone costs 499/599 regardless of the connection plan (and all that's been said so far sounds like it), this means it's rather expensive compared to other phones or smartphones. Of course it's _the_ iPhone. Whether that's reason enough to shell out the big bucks remains to be seen.

Since I'm not in the US, I'll have to wait anyway, but even if I lived in the US, I'd wait a little and see the reviews first. Questions still unanswered for me:

1.) How does a day look on the iPhone if you listen to tunes for an hour in the morning and an hour on the way home, use it for E-Mail and phone calls throughout the day without recharging? Is the battery empty when you get home - or earlier even?

2.) Is the application set restricted to what Apple cares to offer? Does that mean that you'll _never_ be able to simply go online and buy a 3rd party app that manages a task you seriously want to get done on your smartphone?

3.) Is the iPhone, therefore, really smarter than a smartphone - or was that "smartphones aren't really smart" just marketing-trashtalk to hype up the iPhone?

I've just bought a treo 680 here in Switzerland (incredible deal right now, about 300-320 dollars without contract) and love how there's soooooooooooo much freeware/shareware around addressing specific needs. Since I use my smartphones to write stories as well, I think the qwertz-keyboard serves me better than an on-screen one would, although I'll have to test the iPhone once it arrives here.

From what I'm hearing Apple is backing off somewhat from the 'no third party developer stance' since the first announcement. Not sure how much, though.

From what I'm hearing Apple is backing off somewhat from the 'no third party developer stance' since the first announcement. Not sure how much, though.

Phone to Support Third-Party Web 2.0 Applications

Innovative New Way to Create Applications for iPhone
WWDC 2007, SAN FRANCISCO — June 11th, 2007

Apple today announced that its revolutionary iPhone will run applications created with Web 2.0 Internet standards when it begins shipping on June 29th. Developers can create Web 2.0 applications which look and behave just like the applications built into iPhone, and which can seamlessly access iPhone’s services, including making a phone call, sending an email and displaying a location in Google Maps. Third-party applications created using Web 2.0 standards can extend iPhone’s capabilities without compromising its reliability or security.

“Developers and users alike are going to be very surprised and pleased at how great these applications look and work on iPhone”, said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Our innovative approach, using Web 2.0-based standards, lets developers create amazing new applications while keeping the iPhone secure and reliable”.

Web 2.0-based applications are being embraced by leading developers because they are far more interactive and responsive than traditional web applications, and can be easily distributed over the Internet and painlessly updated by simply changing the code on the developers’ own servers. The modern web standards also provide secure data access and transactions, like those used with Amazon.com or online banking.

From http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/110607_iphone.html

I wish Apple would surprise us and give some indication of when it'll hit the the third world (anywhere that isn't the US). My phone's on its last legs and as I don't much like what's out at the moment I'm going to wait until the iPhone hits the UK.
It'll probably be too expensive for my taste but it would be nice to know if it was even ball-park possible and worth waiting for, if its not coming here until December then I'll need to get something else sooner.

I'm hearing October 2007 for the UK (this from a friend from Manchester who was just here visiting who's a mac-o-phile).

Thanks Nato. October eh? I think I can wait that long. Not too keen on 18 month contracts and price will be a big factor, but I'll hold out for a while....

Back