Ipod 20 GB IDK WHATS WRONG? HELP!

The Mac

Registered
I have a apple 20 GB and it doesn't work for some strange reason. I also have a video of me turning it on http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2w7234g&s=3 and some pics down there.

2584ion.jpg

I restart it and it boots up
25qx85v.jpg

Then it pop up this

25ho4f8.jpg

Sometimes(rarely) it will connect to my computer then disconnect by itself?
67qmhc.jpg

Then its like this till i unplug it from my computer.
28k36oj.jpg

Last edited:
Are you attmepting this on the old Mac that you were talking about purchasing or is this on another Mac or PC?

You can also try to reset the iPod from the buttons itself. If I remember correctly, if you hold down the center button and top of the click-wheel, it should reset itself. This won't restore the firmware, however....that will require iTunes.

Are you attmepting this on the old Mac that you were talking about purchasing or is this on another Mac or PC?

You can also try to reset the iPod from the buttons itself. If I remember correctly, if you hold down the center button and top of the click-wheel, it should reset itself. This won't restore the firmware, however....that will require iTunes.

No lol. my vista.

The other possibility is that the iPod cable is not working properly. Are you able to test with another iPod cable if available?

Does that cable belong originally to the 60 GB iPod? I wonder if that 20 GB only works with the Firewire cable if it's not the original cable for the 20 GB model.

Does it stay on at all while on battery? If so, then it can't be the battery. Sometimes it can be the cable. I know that my iPod nano won't work with the Firewire cable except as a charger. The only cable that will work for syncing AND charging is the USB cable. So it's possible that maybe it won't work with the USB cable from the 60 GB iPod, but it would work with the Firewire cable that possibly came with it originally.

its probably the hard drive then. huh?

It could quite possible be the hard drive, but if it's losing its connection then it might possibly be a software corruption on the iPod and not necessarily a physically failing hard drive. Connect it to your Vista computer and the moment iTunes sees it, restore the iPod to factory settings. This almost always resolves problems with wonky iPods (happened a few times with my nano).

The unfilled battery symbol means that the iPod doesn't have enough charge to connect. Try leaving it connected for a few hours, and make sure it is connected to a powered USB port, or an iPod charger. Or course, if you have tried this, a component is damaged. Does the iPod work on battery at all?

Back