iPod: Looking for it's disk?

themacko

Barking at the moon.
I'm not sure what happened here. I just got an iPod last week and today I plugged it into my Mac to charge, but it came up with a little CD/magnifying glass image on its screen. What's up with that and how do I fix it?

Edit: Now I'm looking at it and there's a progress bar that's slowly filling up, (slowly= not even 25% after 5 minutes). Is it doing like a fsck or something? :(

I don't think so, I sync it manually so it shouldn't be doing that. The other thing is, the graphic was of a spinning cd with a magnifying glass hovering over it, like it was searching for something. So I'm guessing I had some kind of disk failure.

themacko said:
I don't think so, I sync it manually so it shouldn't be doing that. The other thing is, the graphic was of a spinning cd with a magnifying glass hovering over it, like it was searching for something. So I'm guessing I had some kind of disk failure.

Yea, I suppose the CD-looking thing is a hard disk. Sounds like it has found some error and is trying to fix it. Have you tried letting it finish?
AppleCare support would be my best idea if that doesn't do any good.

Hi,

I had the same problem with my new iPod a couple of weeks ago. Haven't a clue what it is, but I fixed it by resetting the iPod, which didn't lose any files/music - it just seems to reboot the disk.

To reboot the iPod:

1. Flick the hold switch from off-hold to on-hold, then back again quickly.
2. Press and hold both the Play and Menu buttons together

After a couple of seconds holding the buttons down, the iPod will reboot, and you should return to the main menu.

Hope this helps!!
Regards,
Chris

That sounds like the "hidden" disk diagnostic mode. I'm not sure why it would happen out of the blue, usually you have to get to it by pressing a certain combination of buttons right after a reset. One of the iPod sites like ipodding.com would have a lot more information about this mode, I've run it manually a couple of times on my 1st gen 10 gig, I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it keeps happening.

Rat

Back