ipod nano broken

supermint

Registered
yeah. i had it in my pocket and then someone whacked me with a ratchet and now the screen doesnt work and it only plays one song over and over... what should I do?

How old is it? If it doesn't look too damaged (dents, etc), Apple may give you a replacement. If it's under a year old, or if you bought AppleCare, it's free. If it's out of warranty, you'd be better off getting a new one.

If you're sure that you're out of warranty, you can order parts for DIY service.
Screen
Main Board

I bought it June 16th-ish, 2006 (during Summer). Here are some pictures I took, quality is pretty bad its a very old webcam. I had to take it very close because if it was too far away you cant see it (brightness) and if it was turned off you would never be able to tell.

Picture%20011.jpg

As you can see, it's very noticable.

Picture%20012.jpg

alot like the other, just might be able to notice a few details..

Will they really replace it? I checked on the apple site and it said I stil have a warranty but it doesn't cover broken lcd screens :(

edit: I saw the links you posted and heck, id be better off buying a new one! The price of those parts together are already more than what I paid

I'd bring it to the Apple Store and give it a try, given how much a new one/repair will cost. They may have changed internal policy with this, or you could get someone nice who will replace it anyways..

If you do get this resolved, I'd recommend a hard case for your nano.

Well, I don't think there are any apple stores around.. hpoefully theres one in vancouver when I go for a trip. I had jsut emailed customer service to see if I could get a replacement/refund
Thanks for all your help & the quick reply

Psh, heres what Apple sent me:

Dear Jeromy,

Thank you for contacting Apple.

After reviewing your message, Apple has determined the nature of your question
falls outside the type of support provided via email by the Apple Store.

To obtain technical support for Apple products, call Apple technical support at
800-APL-CARE (800-275-2273). Help is available seven days a week from 8:00 a.m.
to 8:00 p.m. central time.

You may also stop by the Genius Bar at any retail Apple Store for assistance. To
find an Apple Store near you, visit <http://www.apple.com/retail>.

You will find thousands of technical articles, online discussion forums,
downloadable manuals, updated software, and a wealth of product information at
<http://www.apple.com/support>.

Sincerely,

Apple Store Customer Support

I wish I could go to an Apple store. I checked the intenet and most stores are located in the U.S. ... The only ones in Canada are at the far east, and wouldnt'cha know it, I live in the far west. Figures.

Don't give up. From what I've heard from others here regarding Apple support, if you pester them enough (politely, though), they will help you. One person might say no, but another person will probably be more helpful. Keep trying, is all I can say, and play to their sympathies.

Why should they replace it for free? In my book idiots who hit you with sticks are not covered by iPod nano warranty.

Here's what I usually do when someone breaks my iPod:

1.) I grief.
2.) I buy a new one.

The second step depends on whether I know the person who broke it. If so, _that_ person has to buy me a new one. I really don't get how you guys would think this should be covered by warranty...

It's worth a try, especially if it's under warranty. If you can convince them that it was broken in normal use, they may replace it. If they won't replace it, you'll have to get a new nano, which will cost a lot more than trying to get it replaced for free..

Yeah, I just think it's wrong to do so. And I personally don't know anybody who would look at that screen and go: "Ah, yes. Definitely 'normal use' did that."

Yeah, I just think it's wrong to do so. And I personally don't know anybody who would look at that screen and go: "Ah, yes. Definitely 'normal use' did that."
See that bullet hole? That can't be right. Can I get a warranty replacement?

See that bullet hole? That can't be right. Can I get a warranty replacement?

Made of ultra tough polycarbonate plastic - the same high-grade material used in bulletproof glass - the iBook's sleek white case resists impact.
- from Apple.com

Hey, I found out I didn't need to get a new board thing. I bought a new ipod , one of those 80gb video's, and saw the reset default settings and i was like hey i should do that so i did it with the nano (W/o the screen) and I can listen to music. Now, it's an over-priced, ugly shufle :)

Back