iPod Nano running video

I'd say its likely. When i learnt that the Nano could play video I was at first very confused as to why Apple wouldn't include the feature in the first place. Now I realise that if they included it first, they'd have had nowhere to go, nothing new to reveal for the MacWorld expo. At least that's what I'm thinking.

out of interest: what video formats does iPod Linux support?

(this new thread layout is doing my head in! *L* )

This is a nano running iPod Linux. I don't think it will happen since the screen is so small to really watch anything on it, but you know those Linux guys....they'll make any device wash the dishes, tuck you into bed, and make breakfast for you if they can. ::ha::

I also noticed that while it's a nice feature to have with iPod Linux on the nano, the nano's backlight turns off right in the middle of the video, which would be a pain to manually activate the backlight each time the nano decides to turn it off. Maybe they'll find a way to resolve this, but it just seems a bit annoying to me. I also noticed during the video that a popup bubble came up, something akin to a chat message. How on earth someone can chat with an iPod is beyond me. I have a hard enough time text messaging someone with my phone! :p

BTW, you can change the view your profile settings. It's called "Legacy view" or something like that. I set it back to this and I'm a happy camper for now (at least until Scott removes it :().

I think that bubble is part of the TV show the video was recorded from.

No way will Apple allow the nano to playback videos. It's too small and probaby doesn't have a fast enough processor to handle it (notice how in all iPods except 5G you can play music AND use the GUI, but in 5G you can't play a video AND use the GUI because it's most likely using both processors to process the video and audio. And I really doubt the nano has dual processors because it's so small, but it may. Either way, an iPod nano that plays video but no video output is kind of pointless (it's way too thin to get the chip to process video output).

? that's a video showing the nano playing video. ie, the thing has the possibilty to do it now, and it's not even designed to. what if was designed to?

Kainjow, what do you mean play a video and use the GUI at the same time? Do you mean when you pause the video, and navigate?

I'm talking about when you play a video on the 5G, and then hit Menu to go do something else on the iPod, it stops the movie. Meaning, the iPod can't playback video AND control the GUI at the same time, which most likely means it's using all of its power to process the video (and the video's audio).

But on all over iPods you can use the GUI and continue playing the audio, which means it's probably using 1 processor for the GUI and one for the audio.

Edit: ok I don't really know what I'm trying to say... mostly that the nano won't support video because there is no video output, and most people don't want a device that is limited to playing back video on its tiny screen. The 5G screen is small enough, and then take the nano... :eek: !

Lt Major Burns said:
? that's a video showing the nano playing video. ie, the thing has the possibilty to do it now, and it's not even designed to. what if was designed to?
The 1G/2Gs can play back b&w vidoes using iPodLinux, but Apple's not going to upgrade the firmware to support this :D

I understand that, Kainjow, but why would you want the movie running if you cannot view it? I haven't tried this when using a TV output though, it'd be nice to still be able to use the iPod, navigation-wise while watching a movie on the TV.

You know, I had wondered about the B&W screen iPods like my iPod mini regarding iPod Linux and viewing video. I may try it out one day, but right now I'm just enjoying my podcasts and music just as it is. :D

Convert said:
I understand that, Kainjow, but why would you want the movie running if you cannot view it? I haven't tried this when using a TV output though, it'd be nice to still be able to use the iPod, navigation-wise while watching a movie on the TV.
Well, if you want to navigate to somewhere else using your iPod while watching a video using video out, you can't.

Back