iPod Not Recognized

Lord Maelstrom

Registered
My computer froze up on me, and so I restarted it. Since iTunes was not responding, I couldn't disconnect the iPod. Now that my computer is back up and running, my iPod isn't.
It's still plugged into the dock, with the "Do Not Disconnect" message. However, both my iPod and computer(iMac running OS 10.3.5) act like it's not there. First, my iPod is not charging. The battery life is at halfway. Worse, my iPod isn't being recognized by my mac. It won't open up in iTunes, and there is no icon in finder for it. It's as though it weren't hooked up, but everything's securely plugged in.

What should I do?

Try resetting the iPod by holding menu and play for a few seconds (that's the way to do it on my old ipod.... I would imagine it hasn't changed.) A simple reset should solve your problem. If it still isn't recognized, try plugging the iPod into the other firewire port on the back of your computer.

If it still isn't recognized, well good luck with that. Whenever something like that happens to my iPod, I usually seem to end up reformatting it with Disk Utility and uploading all my songs over again. You might also want to try the "repair disk" buttons in Disk Utility. Stuff like this can be really frustrating.

geez. That's been happening to me too with my iPod mini. What's strange is that my iBook recognizes it just fine, running a slightly older version of OS X. But I've had to reset my iPod Mini countless times, as well as wipe it and reinstall the sofware twice. As much as I love the little guy, it's driving me to drink! :mad:

Back