Ipod - old against new

mikrei

Registered
Is there any differences beetween older 30G and new 20G. I'm need to buy Ipod and there is a couple very good price (30G only 20euros more expensive) of those older 30G ipod's.

I've noticed that there has been quite a lot of problems with first Ipods. How long do you think that lithium battery of Ipods is lasting. Is there any way to replace it?

-miq-

The 30 GB are gen 2.5, don't think there's been many problems with those are compared to the Gen 1 models. Personally, I'd take the extra space for such a small price difference.

It's not in the topic, but just for fun, let me compare Gen1 and Gen3 (current)

Gen1:
Moving buttons
Sharp edges in front
Connects via FireWire in the top

Gen3:
No moving parts (save for the Hold button)
Rounder
Thinner
Lighter
Connects trough own plug in the bottom

In an own weird way, I prefer the old ones. The direct FireWire port let me go to the store and buy a new wire for the iMac at school. An USB 2.0-to-FireWire adapter might be a better solution than the new plug...
While the shift away from any moving parts has helped keep my iPod clean, it's not all good. In just the terms of controlling the iPod, the old solution was a lot more responsive, giving me a better overall experience.

Another thing is the Rounded edges, I once dropped the old iPod from about a meter straight to the ground, the rounded back part caused it to land flat on the back...impressed me at least...

I must say, though, I like the new thinner, lighter, cleaner design.

I have a 1st gen iPod, and have tried the 3rd generation ones in the Apple store. I like the touch-sensiteve scroll wheel, as my physical scroll wheel is kinda loose. However, I don't like the fact that the other buttons are now touch sensitive, too. When I'm driving in my car, I don't want to look down from the road, so I navigate the next/previous play/pause controls by touch. If I had a 3rd generation iPod, I'd be innadvertantly pressing the wrong buttons all the time.

Touch-technology is a mixed blessing for the iPod.

Adam, in time you learn to approach the next/prev buttons from the side, and you actually have to press the keys (though not hard) for the iPod to see it.
My Gen1 loose jog wheel still beats my touchpad jog wheel in terms of comfort, speed and response...

But you describe Gen2 as your perfect iPod...

Back