iPod pauses at random intervals...help please!

Uduckhead

Registered
Howdy,

I have a problem that has been going on for quite some time now. I have the first clickwheel iPod (the one that came right before the Photo), and while I'm listening to it it will suddenly pause randomly. At first I thought this had to do with a feature that automatically pauses if the headphones are pulled out, and that my headphone jack was messed up. I tried switching out the headphones, with the same result. My original theory was proved completely false however when I tested jerking out the headphones altogether: the music kept playing regardless. I tampered with many different things, trying to test what was making the iPod pause, and I couldn't find out anything. Anyone have a similar experience, or know how to solve it? Thanks!

I have the same generation (4G) iPod, and it works fine. So it's not a general bug of that generation of iPods or something... Could be that the clickwheel is somehow faulty, i.e. it _thinks_ you're actually clicking the pause button...?

I don't think that's the issue..I just tried playing it and tapping the clickwheel in all places, as well as tapping everwhere else on the iPod, and it didn't make it pause. Sometimes it will pause if it's just sitting on a table, not even undergoing any stimuli.

Please don't use "bump" posts - if someone knows an answer, they'll post.

Things you can do: restore your iPod to the latest iPod software (http://www.apple.com/ipod/download). If problem continues, check to see if it's happening with the same songs, or random songs. If it's the same songs, then there's a problem with the audio file - re-rip it or whatever. If it's random songs, it's a problem with your iPod software or hardware. Since restoring didn't fix it, it's most likely a hardware problem, in which case you need to call Apple (will cost money if you aren't covered under warranty anymore).

Uduckhead,
are you using 3rd party headphones? if so, chances are they have a metal rim at the base of the jack which, when turned to a certain point makes the iPod pause. i have this problem with my Photo. you either need to find a way to insulate the jack or get something like the Apple iPod Remote.

hope this helps

Yes, I am using 3rd party headphones, Sennheisers! I'm positive this is the problem, I'll work on insulating the jack right away. So if the metal rim is blocked then it should work fine?

How nice to finally find a topic on this one, I was thinking of a way to put it down myself. I have the same problem. My iPod is a 4'th generation 60Gb with color display, the one that came after the iPod Photo. Basically it is the iPod Photo, but Apple renamed it. The software installed on mine is the latest, 1.2.1.

The problem started to occur last wheek when I got myself a pair of Koss PortaPro, that's when this stared. Before that, I had been using Koss SparkPlug, and this never happened upon those.

I think I'll borrow mom's clear nail polish or something. I'll keep you updated on how it went, just want to be sure it'll let dry enough. (I don't want a female iPod! ;-))

Speaking of follow ups, what are your results?

I have a 60 gig video, it doesn't pause when I pull the headphones out.

But I started having the random pause problem myself.

Should I restore to original it then update from I-tunes again?

I think I'll borrow mom's clear nail polish or something. I'll keep you updated on how it went, just want to be sure it'll let dry enough. (I don't want a female iPod! ;-))

Speaking of follow ups, what are your results?

NEVER Use nailpolish or any chemical. The cause of this problem that Ipod autopauses is simply: DUST in the headphone-contact.

050616_dusting.jpg

The SOLUTION: Bottled Compressed AIR. Just blow in the headphone-contact to clean away all dust that causes the headphone contact to loose conact = Autopauses the Ipod.

After cleaning the headphone-contact i've never had any more problems.

/Hans, Sweden

Back