iPod sounds CRAPPY using an AUX IN with my car stereo

Uduckhead

Registered
I just bought a new stereo for my car which has an AUX IN port. I bought a headphone-to-headphone cable so I could hook my iPod up to it and today when I tested it it sounded AWFUL. Like, really bad. The vocals were completely inaudible and the rest of the track sounded really scratchy. I turned off the EQ on the iPod and messed with the levels on the stereo, but nothing. Anyone know what the problem is?

Thank you!

I have mine running in as a fake cd changer on my car and it is wonderfully clear. I really can not make it sound bad except by really pushing things, so lets try those first. The first thing to check id volume, you don;t want either the ipod or the stereo operating at minimum or maximum volume, this will introduce distortions that could be a problem. If things work in that configuration I would start checking hardware. Does the cable work well with another device? Will another device interface nicely with the radio?

Do a little process of elimination to see if you can identify the defective part since it should sound at least as good as the radio.

It sounds like "clipping". Your stereo's input will be digitally processed, which means the audio coming in has to be encoded. If the volume level coming in from your iPod is too high, the sound waves get "clipped" and sound really bad.

Try turning the iPod volume down to about 40-50%, then adjust the stereo to match. That should resolve the issue.

If not, check that the cables are secure and try jiggling them. A faulty cable will cause bad sound.

I agree with symphonix- it sounds like you need more head-room. Simply turn down the volume,and you won't get distortion. I find my iPod sounds best at about 80% volume, but then again, mine's first generation. Your mileage may vary.

Yes, mess with the volume. Or if you have a dock set the iPod in the dock (If you have one) and use the line out. I have found that to sound a lot better than the headphone out. It's not because the sound quality is really any different, it's just that the line was meant to be used in that way so the levels have been adjusted for best results.

I have the same system as you are trying to use. I have attached an Av 2 plug to the aux plug at the back of my alpine. I have the Volume on the 60gb iPod set to 3/4 and use the Alpine's volume and other settings. It's purrfect. Would suggest you get it looked at by a Car Radio tech or try another AV wire & Plug

Back