Is 512mb enough ram to run OSX well?

jb22

Registered
Like the title says, is 512mb on a new DP 867 enough to run OSX well. I'll mainly be doing video editing wotj with Premier and After Effects, as well as running Photoshop and Illustrator. Not at the same time of course, although it be real nice if I could!

But I'm ordering this system and I can't afford to put in 1gb from Apple so I thought I 'd just get started with 512mb and upgrade later.

don't buy extra ram from apple. add it after you get it. 512 should be enough for most things but you'll likely want to max your's out with the particular apps you want to run.

512 to 768 if you play with large files in photoshop, to insert them in your already open Illustrator files, while capturing video as a background process. That should be enough RAM, but the swap and rapid access needs of p-shop and video editing, you may want to put some cash toward a couple of fast HD's and stripe them to make hard drive IO faster.

I'm a big fan of software RAID 0 and RAID 1.

512Mb is fine, but it will run better with even more ram. It definitely does make a difference in X. I went from 512Mb to 1.25Gb and there was a noticeable difference.

Right now, Apple has $4.4 Billion in cash reserves... they want $700 extra for 4 - 512Mb modules... but you can buy 512Mb PC2100 SDRAM compatible 'chips for $.03 under $100.00 from some reputable sources.

512Mb will work O.K., but you'll want MORE soon enough; you can't have enough.

Back