Is it possible?

Trip

Registered
I'm thinking of buying this 8mm camcorder (http://www.usa.canon.com/html/camcorder/es75.html) for making some skateboarding (and other) videos, what I was wondering was this: is there any way to connect a regular camera like that (non-miniDV) to my iBook to use with iMovie?

I'm specifically looking for a simple cable maybe that can connect to the camera and to a USB (or FireWire) port on my iBook.

All help is greatly appriciated!

i think you'll need a capture card or an external piece like dazzle or something

this is why i would just go dv, you dont need all the extra equipment, tapes, etc etc blah blah

Yep, you need Dazzle. Rather than spend the $$$ on extra equipment, get a digital video camera.

Well...money is rough in my household. So I was hoping to get a really crummy tape recorder for roughly $200, and then a special cable for at least $100, which adds up (roughly) to $350 (tax+shipping+junk). But if I order a miniDV camera alone it can cost at the least $400...and that's the LEAST. So do you see my delema here?

Yes, I understand, but think about your quality. When you transfer through those cables, you will not get the high quality in the conversion as you would with a DV camera.
Sony does make some low end cameras. I would seriously think about saving the $$ and getting a movie that would be a joy to show off.
:)

It's more than tempting...but I don't know...

...maybe if I can find a job and find a good camera for around $350-$400 I can earn up the money. But just for a couple skateboarding/holiday movies?

you could always be like me and go into debt with multiple loans and credit cards :eek: :(

To buy anything but a digital camera with the intent of digital editing reflects an impatient discision, and I would HIGHly recommend against it. You will immediately regret it once you realize how difficult it is to work with an analog camera in a non-linear environment. Things that are easy like controlling playback from the computer aren't possible, and there's going to be a significant quality loss in the conversion. You must remember that the original quality probably won't be better (since the media--tape--doesn't allow for very high quality), and that it will be further lessened when you bring it onto the computer. Hold out and make the slightly bigger plunge into DV. It's the wiser choice and you'll be glad you made it.

Alright, this onegoodpenguin has convinced me that a miniDV camera is what I should go for. Yay for onegoodpenguin!

Now for the hard part: getting a high paying job. Anybody need some graphics done for them? :D

Back