iTools agony

nkuvu

Gone
Arrrgh! iTools is too slow! :mad:

I just spent an hour making a stupid photo album web page through iTools. I did have to upload pictures, but the pictures altogether are ~600K. This should not be a long process, even with a dial-up connection.

What took me so long, you ask? (Don't even think that it's a loose nut behind the keyboard! :) ) Every time I moved the mouse in the Finder with the iDisk open I got the spinning cursor. I started to export images from iPhoto full-scale, before I realized that would be about 5MB of photos. Since I want to go to bed soon (and I will once I get this rant out) I decided to cancel. Then I had 0kb placeholders with the names of the images. So I tried to delete them. Oops! You moved the mouse! Now I must spend five more minutes before I give you back control! He he! there you go again you silly user! You even clicked this time, it'll take even longer!

aaaaaaiaiiigiigh!!

I hate to admit this, but the way I finally got it to work was to relaunch the Finder (die!), and upload the pictures from my Win2K box. Map to http address? No problem. Move ~600K files? Sure -- give me a few minutes. Go back up a directory? Done.

What is taking the iDisk so long to figure out what is in the folders? It's not like I am transferring my whole directory structure up there at once -- I just want to see the folders, move some files, maybe even delete files. I realize that dial-up connections are not known for speedy interfaces, but this is absolutely ridiculous!

And before I leave tonight, I also wanted to point out that I share the iMac with my roommate (until my flat-panel iMac shows up). So we each have an iDisk. In the Finder, I chose Go->iDisk. I got hers. No prompting. To open mine, I had to open it through IE (What?!? No OmniWeb support?!), and after that I got two iDisks. nkuvu and nkuvu-1. What's up with that? I only clicked once!

*sigh* OK, that's all. Thanks for letting me yell a bit. Maybe some of the Apple-wise can let me know what is going on.

And you can visit the fruits of my labors, and get an idea of why I am so upset that it took this long...

Originally posted by nkuvu
And before I leave tonight, I also wanted to point out that I share the iMac with my roommate (until my flat-panel iMac shows up). So we each have an iDisk. In the Finder, I chose Go->iDisk. I got hers. No prompting. To open mine, I had to open it through IE (What?!? No OmniWeb support?!), and after that I got two iDisks. nkuvu and nkuvu-1. What's up with that? I only clicked once!
Were you logged in as her user?
G0->iDisk connects with the iDisk that is specified in the Internet user preferences.

And The iDisk is really dogslow. Strangely, it is much faster on a PC.
Mac OS X seems to really be slow in almost everything regarding network, when I connect via Samba with a PC, file copys takes up all CPU cycles, the mouse only moves choppy and I can't do anything else (Oh yeah, I love multitasking... :rolleyes: )

iDisk should be a little faster if you connect via Go->Connect with Server
and type afp://idisk.mac.com

Were you logged in as her user?
Yep. In all of my wait-for-the-cursor agony I hadn't even thought of that. Obvious now, though. :)

iDisk should be a little faster if you connect via Go->Connect with Server and type afp://idisk.mac.com
Thanks, maybe I'll try that next time...

Or can you use FTP with the iDisk....?

Originally posted by nkuvu
To open mine, I had to open it through IE (What?!? No OmniWeb support?!),...

To make iTools work with OmniWeb, just set OW to identify itself as either IE or Netscape.

Adam

To make iTools work with OmniWeb, just set OW to identify itself as either IE or Netscape.

The iTools site works for me when OW is identified as Omniweb in compatibility.

As for the iDisk, it takes a long time on my computer, but only when opening a folder, once the folder is open its very fast for downloading.

There might be something wrong with your Computer, if its old that might slow it down, but overall its very slow in the finder.

Supposedly you can use it in the terminal and its very fast from there.

Back