iTunes and Doubled Library list...or, from 15 GB to 30 GB in one move :/

snø

Registered
hi,

i have moved my Library for iTunes to another partition so i can save space on my system partition. at first i could not figure out how to get it to link my music back to my iTunes, but then i did when i imported the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file from it's new home. BUT...now at the bottom of iTunes, where it says how many songs and how many GB's you have, it is doubled. from 15 GB to 30 GB. the folder on my OS X drive is empty and the real folder on my other drive reads the GB's correctly at about 15 GB. i looked in the Library on iTunes and ALL of my songs are doubled, except they are not really doubled. if you click on one of the files it says the file cannot be found, the second file is the real one that works.

2 1/2 questions:

1) do i really have 30 GB's stored if the first mp3 is not a real file in iTunes? if so where do i find the extra GB's stored???

2) how do i easily delete all the doubled non existent mp.3's that are showing up in my library on iTunes?

thanks,
snø

I had a problem much like that. As far as I could tell, iTunes thought my music was there twice, and reported it that way (you should also have double the number of songs listed as well as twice the size). Infact, half those songs are 'fake', and if you try to play them, you will get an error. I found that if you just set your selection to the top of the Library and keep pressing the right arrow key, then you don't get the error and can easily remove the songs marked "can't find". Of course, I only had about 15% of the music you have (and even then only about half of the songs were duplicated), and it still took me awhile.
That's the only way I could find to do it though, sorry :(

You can do this by selecting your whole libary and deleting them from the iTunes list, it should ask you if you want to actually delete the files (DON'T) or to just remove them from the iTunes libary (the actual MP3's will still be on your other partition or wherever they are. After your iTunes libary has nothing in it you need to then go to the preferences to relocate iTunes to your prefered folder/volume and your Mp3's will re-link back in to the iTunes libary and there should be no imitation duplicates. This should do the trick as this has happened to me a few times aswell.

Figured i would bring this back up before I move all my songs on my work computer. i've been getting pops in my audio on my dual G5, which is strange since this doesn't occur at home on my G4 with a heavier work load. But let me open Photoshop and it starts on my G5. Only thing that seems to stop the pop sounds is a reboot or repair of the permissions.

So whats the best way to move all my audio files to another hard drive and keep all my play history?

Back