iTunes and Tiger

gollum84

goonies never say die
I just ordered Tiger today from the Apple Store using my education discount. So right now I'm in the process of backing up all of my important data. My question concerns all my music in iTunes. I plan on doing a clean install of Tiger and that will erase everything on my hardrive, including my music. So...I was thinking, instead of burning my music to cd's, could I just connect my iPod once Tiger is installed and I could then export my music back to the hardrive? Is this possible?

Also, I have about 50 purchased songs from the iTMS, how do save those? Plus, I plan on buying iLife '05 soon, but in the meantime, I'll need to use the original programs that came preinstalled on my G4, are they on my PowerMac G4 Software and Reinstall DVD?

You can do what you want with your iTunes/iPod by using the iPod in hard-disk mode. I am not sure about the purchased music. Backup 2 backs up music purchased from ITMS as well as all the important/wanted files on your Mac. You could use your student discount, join .Mac, and use Backup 2. My understanding is that you would be able to restore to your internal using Backup 2 after a new system is installed. I have not done so though.

When i need to backup my music i simply just copy the 3 files from Home directory>Music>iTunes. There should be 2 files and one folder, the folder has your music and the other files just have info about the playlists i think. So basically just copy those files to your ipod or external hd and then when you have tiger just copy them back into Home directory>Music>iTunes and it should replace those files. And your music will be in iTunes as it was before tiger.

It works for me so i guess it should for you ?

Back