iTunes burning with 3rd party drive

Paul Forbes

Registered
Hi all,
Does anyone know how to get iTunes 3 to burn CD's with a 3rd party drive? My drive is an internal LG CD/DVD combo and it can make CD's okay with Toast but iTunes cannot see it. I'm using Mac OS X10.2.3 Thanks.

Have a look at the details for the drive in Apple System Profiler. I believe that for iTunes to see the drive, it has to appear in the profiler as 'Fully supported.' for Disc Burning.

I'm guessing that burning from the Finder doesn't work either?

I haven't tried burning from the Finder (I think Disc Burner was disabled or something). I'll try it and let you know. Thanks.
- Paul

I have an "unsupported" drive. The finder will burn discs with it, sort of. It only recognizes 700mb discs as 660.something..., but other than that, it seems to work. iTunes doesnt recognize it at all. I simply use Toast Titanium..

Pengu

Same here, Paul. I've got an olden Toshiba combo drive. While it was advertised as being "PC only" it has always worked quite nicely playing my DVDs. Also, burning with Disk Copy works (you might want to give that a try). iTunes and Finder burning are notoriously fuzzy with what drives they support. If you haven't got it already, Toast is a programme well worth the buy. I've still got to hear of the drive it doesn't support :)

Add that: Disk Copy only burns disk images. Sorry, forgot to mention.
Pengu: The apparent discrepancy 700MB v 670MB is due the more accurate calculation of the Finder. I.e. 1MB = 1044 bytes rather than 1000 bytes. The latter formula, while being somewhat inaccurate is used by the CD-R vendors... (for whatever reason ;-)

I have an external Lacie UltraSCSI CD burner and iTunes3 burning works every time but burning in the Finder hangs the system, then I have to restart. The CD burn session is alright but it's a pain having to manually restart from the spinning beachball with every Finder burn.

Back