itunes error - music library file cannot be read?

Scribblah

Registered
I'm so frustrated folks. If there is anyone who has had this happen or know's what to do please let me know.

Problem:

When I go to open my itunes software I get a pop-up window that says the following, "The itunes Music Library File cannot be read because it does not appear to be a vaild library file."

I deleted the itunes file (the file that had the logo) and downloaded another copy from Apple but the problem still persists.

I need help!

Thank you for reading.

Scribs.

Go to your home Music/Library folder, and delete the file "iTunes Music Library.xml". This error occurs when this file has become corrupted. Don't worry, once you've deleted it and go into iTunes, you will be able to rebuild your music library more or less automatically.

Thanks for being the only one to reply. Unfortunately I tried your suggestion without success. I deleted the "iTunes Music Library.xml" file and it still gives me the pop-up window.

The only files left in the folder is the iTunes Music (blue folder), iTunes Music Library (2), iTunes Temp, ITunes Temp1, iTunes Temp 2, iTunes Temp3, iTunes Temp 4, iTunes 3 Music library.

The only odd thing is that the temp and temp 1 files are blank. They don't have the iTunes logo on them.

Any other suggestions?

are you extremely low on disk space? if you get within 400 MB of being empty itunes wigs out and gives the invalid library file error.

are you extremely low on disk space? if you get within 400 MB of being empty itunes wigs out and gives the invalid library file error.

Right, but I get error when only 200M or so is left. I think the limit varies with disk size and/or fragmentation.

I currently have 5.2GB of space. *bangs head on desk* I still can't figure out the problem. It's crazy though even though I install it again I get that pop-up window. It's weird because when I install the new iTunes I'll click to open and I get that window that talks about whether or not I'll accept the license agreement and then and only then will the pop-up window come up and stop me.

Any other suggestions?

so this exact same thing is happening to me... any help would be appreciated! thank you! I tried reinstalling itunes... and I'm clearing disc space... hoping that helps. I may just clear everything off of itunes entirely, reload and start from scratch. any thoughts??? it looks like this was originally posted a long time ago.... HELP!!!!

Back