iTunes on a Fresh Install

thebiggedbig

Registered
So, I'm going to do a clean install of Tiger. I have all of my music on my iPod. If I connect the iPod to the computer, will iTunes recognize the music and add it to the computer's library, or will it erase all of my music? It's one or the other...not something I really want to risk...thanks ahead of time.

Your Mac will erase your iPod if you don't put the iPod into manual updating/hard-disk (MUHD) mode before connecting it to the Tiger install. You can put your iPod into MUHD mode, copy your iTunes library to it before installing Tiger, connect it to your Mac after installing Tiger, and copy the library to the Tiger Mac. You also could backup your iTunes and tunes purchased from ITMS on your iPod, in MUHD mode, using Backup 2 from .Mac. I am not quite sure where they are located, but you also should be able to backup your playlists using this procedure.

copy everything in the ~/Music/iTunes folder. there are two or three files and a folder. the files (an XML file and a pref file) are what determine your library(songs), playlists, etc.

well...the iPod should already have the music on it...just hidden. i already copied a whole lot of stuff on the iPod and have, oh, say, 27MB left on it, so i have to use what is one there... can i just drag that to the iTunes folder on the installation?

Pengu said:
copy everything in the ~/Music/iTunes folder. there are two or three files and a folder. the files (an XML file and a pref file) are what determine your library(songs), playlists, etc.
Thanks. I suspected so. And, Backup 2 does back those files up too just in the process of backing up iTunes music files, etc.

Back