Itunes radio big change

mi5moav

Registered
I just got back to the states the other day and have been playing with the new itunes, I totally missed the free tunes giveaway but oh well. Anyway, I have always like the simplicity of itunes radio yes they could ad a lot more features but I'm content. Just wish they had a good spots search features so I could find my favorite teams and races, anyhow. When I left 3 weeks ago itunes radio was based on radio365 with about 400 different stations and you could almost never see who was playing just the station name. Now that i've returned I found out that radio 365 is no longer with them. However, buffering has improved and so far evertime I play a song the title and artist show up in the lcd, pretty cool. I should have realised this was going to happen with radio365 started pushing there player before and during every song on the old itunes, I guess apple found another partner.

mi5moav said:
However, buffering has improved and so far evertime I play a song the title and artist show up in the lcd, pretty cool.

really really thanx for pointing that out.
theres allways some 80s song that i listen and wanna buy but dont know the title...

this feature does not work for all the radios, but is anyways really helpful!!!
thanx again for noticiing and postin this!!!

This was there before 4.5, because I have seen the titles of the songs there before. There might be more now than there used to be though.

Hmmm...

I can't tell if something minor has changed (never looked at the radio stations that closely), but I definitely never saw anywhere near 400 radio stations, let alone 400 *in addition* to the ones that are there.

There's maybe what, 20 missing? At the most? There's only 45 there now...

Ripcord said:
Hmmm...

I can't tell if something minor has changed (never looked at the radio stations that closely), but I definitely never saw anywhere near 400 radio stations, let alone 400 *in addition* to the ones that are there.

There's maybe what, 20 missing? At the most? There's only 45 there now...

?!

353 streams here.

Attachments

• iTunes streams.jpg
    iTunes streams.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 22
The titling was there before (has been since I can remember), just some stations did and some didn't.

Alot of those streams are duplicates of others with different bit rates. For example, under electronica there claims to be 70 streams, but there are only 40 unique ones. I counted them (I'm really bored!) and here's what I got. Numbers behind each category show (unique/total) for the streams.

50's/60's Pop (7/9), 70's/80's Pop(10/21), Alt/Mod Rock (20/31), Ambient (10/15), Americana (12/15), Blues (2/2), Classic Rock (8/13), Classical (4/6), Country (5/6), Eclectic (16/24), Electronica (40/70), Hard Rock/Metal (13/17), International (11/14), Jazz (12/19), Public (21/26), Raggae/Island (9/11), Religious (14/20), Talk/Spoken Word (12/12), Top40/Pop (5/8), Urban (10/14).

So, 241 unique streams as of this post out of a total of 353 streams.

the big switch is that 356live seems to be gone. Apple seems to be doing a lot of promoting of bands... what if itunes became it's own label and bands would actually start signing with itunes(aka apple) of course couldnt be apple since the beatles but could spin off and would be the itunes label. I think a lot of artist would jump for better cut of the pie and the internet is definetly a great promo as well as itunes. Apple probably does a better job of promoting some bands then there labels have ever.

You have to click on each category...iTunes only displays the stream counts after you expand a category, and only for the ones you've opened.

The possibility of Apple launching an Itunes TV network ala VH1 and MTV but for the digital generation is very possible. With Viacom owning both MTV and VH1 and Time Warner trying to promote it's music biz more recently. An Apple/Time Warner Itunes media monster could possibly start to tip the Viacom cart. Of course with the new video clips on itunes something is going to happen full fledged movies probably won't be coming to the ipod soon however if Apple does go with a color screen we might be downloading the video for 1.99 or 1.25????

there's no way of adding your own radio station is there? I mean, I have a couple I listen to, but they have to go in a special playlist called 'radio'. So my radio stations are split up over two spots...

That would be kinda cool... at least then I could have a section called sports or AM channels or XM satellite.

Anyway to pull internet radio stations off of itunes then have them beamed to my itrip so that I can listen to them while i'm mowing the lawn? Can't wait till XM radio comes to the ipod... probably will be a while though.

Not unless the ipod was about 3x it's normal size and had a 8 inch antennae. Though having the chip within it and having a docking station at home or in your car may be possible.

Back