iTunes & Samsung CD Yepp Player

rekeating

Registered
So I've just gotten a Samsung "CD Yepp" MP3 CD Player for Christmas. Here I was on Christmas-day, all excited to fire-up iTunes and burn my first MP3 CD. This seemed to work great, but when I put the CD-R into the player, all I got was display of "Reading" for about 30 seconds, and the "Good-bye" as the player simply shutdown.

After some experimentation, I found that copying the CD-R contents to the hard-drive, and then using the Finder to burn them to a new CD-R resulted a playable MP3 CD-R. The only difference I could see between these two CD-Rs was that the directory permissions were different. The bad CD-R did not have write and execute permissions for Group and Other on the directories ('rwxr--r--' from Terminal 'ls -l' command), while the CD-R created by the Finder had rwx across the board ('rwxrwxrwx'). I suppose it could be that the player cannot see any of the directory contents because of the missing execute permission on Group and Other.

My question is: why does iTunes create directories with 'rwxr--r--' permissions, and can I change this behavior? I'm sure that returning the CD Player and purchasing a RioVolt instead would solve the problem, but that would cost 2 to 3 time as what the Samsung cost (only $42).

I'm not sure why the first disc wouldn't work in your player, but file permissions wouldn't have anything to do with it. Unless your player is running Unix it doesn't care about file permissions.

When you Get Info on each of the CDRs do they appear to be in the same format? (i.e., Is one disc ISO9660 and the other HFS?)

I thought there might be a slim chance that Samsung used embedded Linux in the thing, or maybe file I/O libraries derived from a Linux/Unix environment (grasping at straws). I've since burned an iTunes CD-R sorted by song-title, which creates a flat file list with no directory structure...still didn't play. To make matters worse, copying the files to the hard disk, and burning to a new CD-R using the Finder didn't work this time either.

I think it's time to look for the receipt and exchange the Samsung player for a Rio Volt. Anyone else have recomendations on portable MP3 CD players which work with iTunes?

I returned the Samsung player and purchased a Panasonic SL-MP353J portable player. This works great with MP3 CDs burned directly from iTunes. Life is good again...

Back