Job hunting

xaosai

Registered
I need some advice from those who know the job market better than I. I don't have a cs degree but I've done a lot of programming building cognitive models (computer modeling is my minor). I know OOC++, Objective-C, OOMatlab, Lisp, VB, Unix environment (perl scripting), Macintosh OSX environment, etc. However, the job market seems only interested in a CS degree and a few specific development environments for entry level positions. Does anyone know of any good resources for finding work as a programmer (especially macintosh) besides monster.crap; websites, agencies, etc.? Or any other suggestions to a recent grad for getting involved in the industry?

you're going to need a lucky rabbit's foot, lots of wood to knock on, or whatever lucky trinkets or rituals you have in your closet b/c the market is flooded with people (namely ME!!). I graduated back in 2001 w/ Comp. Information Systems B.S. and have yet to find a decent job. I dont mean to be rude or whatever, but from my experience and others ive talked to, its bad out there--stay in school!!!

Offer your services to large companies that generate a lot of information regarding their products. I work at a large pharmaceutical company that needs contract computer workers for writing specific applications for very specific and confidential needs. Many times large companies cannot find commerical programs to meet their needs so they form a committee to access the company's current and projected needs and then they bring in computer programmers who work on teams to create the programs required.

Back