Keeps crashing

Paul C

Registered
I have pulled the battery on the motherboard and put it problem is that now my powermac goes into OS and locksup

Also I've tried booting from a CD but when I hold the 'c' key down it doesn't boot from CD :(

Sorted now, I pulled the power cable, then the power to the motherboard, took out the battery and left it like that for 10 mins, put the batter back in power back to the mother and power cable back in, booted up and everything seemed ok :eek:

I'm going to try these when I get home from work:

1. Unplug speakers
2. Unplug mouse and use standard Apple one
3. Remove memory and try putting back in one by one
4. Reinstall standard CPU and check heat sink connection
5. Remove Airport card
6. Unplug second hard drive (contains only data)

Do any of those sound like it could be a solution?

Hmm not sure, but what you're experiencing is a kernal panic, which would definately indicate that it's some kind of hardware problem.

I don't see why the battery would have anything to do with it, I was under the impression that the battery simply remembered the time, etc. Did you do anything else before the battery?

Basically the story goes like this: I bought a Sonnet Encore ST 1ghz but when I installed it I just got a black screen (no signal to monitor) when booting up, Sonnet thought it was faulty so I sent it back, on Wednesday night I upgraded from Jaguar to Panther and had no problems (with my G4 400), yesterday I received the replacement chip from Sonnet so I tried to install it and got the same black screen, I put the old chip back in took my RAM out and put it back in, I also changed my grapihcs card back to the orginal and now get these kernel panics.

I have removed all memory apart from 256mb, I also removed my airport card, put my Radeon 9000 back in changed the mouse, it boots but fine now with the G4 400 but I still get a black screen with the Sonnet chip.

On Sonnet's site they have a download section with updates. It seems you need a new driver for your card, since your machine doesn't fully recognise it. I had similar problems with my G4 400 and the Sonnet 1.4GHz card. Download and run the OSX Sonnet tune-up. Also check that you have the latest driver for your graphics card. Failing that, you may have a dodgy RAM module. Besides, I wouldn't try to run Panther with only 256Mb of RAM. And if your machine doesn't want to start from the CD, try holding down the Option key when re-starting and choose the CD when it appears together with the HD on the screen. Worked for me when I had trouble ;)

There is a much easier way to do the stuff you mentioned in the first few posts...

All desktops have something called a CUDA switch... Effectively it drains all of the powers from the motherboard.

Beats waiting 10 minutes.

Back