L2 Cache?

Paul C

Registered
I've just sold my Powerbook and will be ordering a Macbook in the next 2 weeks, Apple have got refurbished 2ghz one for a great price but the thing that puts my off is their L2 cache is 2mb oppose to the new ones which have a 4mb L2 cache.

I know it's double but does it make a big difference?

yes, l2 cache makes a difference. but are they the same kind of cpus? the new macbooks will always have better specs, but then they have newer hardware too.

The main things I user my macs for are: browsing the net, watching video, encoding video and iPhoto, do you think the 2mb L2 cache will be too slow?

Thing is that I have sold my Powerbook on eBay and am without a mac at the moment, Apple have the below on their refurb site but I dunno if I should just save up the extra $541 (£280) for a new one with the core 2 duo instead just the core duo? I also need to find out if the drive on the refurb one is dual or single layer?

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - White
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
1280 x 800 resolution
1GB memory (2x512MB SODIMMs)
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Built-in iSight camera

£599.99

i'd get it if i were you. if the drive isn't listed as a dual layer, then its not. i don't think they put them in the macbooks anyway. and the core2duo is a much better cpu, and it needs the extra l2cache. with a 2gig chip, 1gig ram and super drive, that macbook is way worth 600. if we had deals like that here in the states, i'd of gotten one by now.

Then get out the credit card, the refurb section of the Apple Store has awesome deals.

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
1280 x 800 resolution
Built-in iSight camera
Learn More
• Save 16% off the original price
Original price: $1,299.00
Your price: $1,099.00

Estimated Ship:
5-7 business days
Free Shipping

And it's a core 2 duo at that. And less than 600 pounds.

Then get out the credit card, the refurb section of the Apple Store has awesome deals.

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
1280 x 800 resolution
Built-in iSight camera
Learn More
• Save 16% off the original price
Original price: $1,299.00
Your price: $1,099.00

Estimated Ship:
5-7 business days
Free Shipping

And it's a core 2 duo at that. And less than 600 pounds.

I wish we could order stuff from the US Apple Store but it won't allow you to cos they'd loose too much money, I don't think I'm gonna be able to afford a new 2ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook so I'm gonna have to get the 2ghz Core Cuo instead, as long as it's faster than my G4 1.25ghz Powerbook then I'll be happy, I don't play games and I'm sure it'll be ok at encoding video. I had a look at the specs and the Macbook came with dual layer writers from day one so I should be fine.

Thanks for the help guys

Back