Laggy Full Screen QT movies...

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
Have you guys tried to play some movies trailers or TV commercials downloaded from Apple web site? I couldn't make it to play smoothly under the full screen mode. I tried on both PowerBook G4 and iBook and have the same problem... But not under OS 9. Is it OS X problem?

Uneven scaling ratios can really detriment the performance of full screen playback... if you have trouble with 'Full Screen' try 'Double'. Also- it depends where the movie resides, how it was compressed, is it streaming... etc. etc. etc.

Large data rates (where you have a big file and need to pull a ton of data to display each second of animation) can really get killed by your storage... don't leave files on a zip disk or even a CD... just test it and if all else fails copy it to your harddrive.

I just wondered why all movies downloaded from Apple (Movie Trailers, Ads) cannot be played in full screen by double.

Something weird is that I don't have any probelm playing the movie in OS 9.

You may try the new iMac ad "Window".

I'm running Mac OS X 10.1.3, and I cannot get anything to run full screen in QuickTime and have it play smoothly.

I thought it was because I was making it too large (my screen res is 1600x1200). What I did to verify this was I played back a 320x240 MPEG movie at 640x480 at my current screen res of 1600x1200. It played back smoothly as expected.

Then I proceed the test by lowering my screen res to 640x480. When I set it to play at full screen it was totally choppy! Then I reset it to double and played it back, and again it was totally choppy!

To extend my test I switched my screen res to 800x600 and played back the movie at double, and it was smooth all the way. Then I played the movie back at full screen at 800x600, and yet again it was choppy beyond belief.

What I have conclude is that when ever a movie, MPEG, or MOV, or any other format is played back at the same res as the screen (i.e. doubled, or full screen) it becomes choppy. I don't know if this is true for all of you or not, but it sure is for me.

-dantjie:)

I have no problem with a 640x480 DiVX -> MOV converted file that I made of an episode of kanon running in full screen. I think the aspect may have been close enough to stave of the extra math while in presentation mode.

Back