LCD iMacs (and more) apparently confirmed!?

GadgetLover

Senior Member & Tech Guru
FYI

from go2mac.com (and other URLs) ...

"LCD iMacs Confirmed For Macworld SF 2002
Mon, 03 Dec 2001, 12:58
Lando Calrissian

While we can't make similar predictions about the PowerPC G5 processor or desktop Mac, Go2Mac sources have assured us that the new LCD iMac (which we have dubbed jMac) will be announced at The Big Dance which runs 08-11 January in San Francisco.

Few details are available at this time, but we do know that a large number of developmental units (DVTs or mules) have be spotted on Apple's Cupertino Campus. A source indicates that Apple is leaning towards making the line entirely LCD-equipped rather than making it more modular with the option of a low-cost CRT monitor. Prototypes have not contained the TiBook's 15.2-inch LCD as predicted, but instead are being tested with several 14 and 15-inch LCDs from Samsung. More on this exciting story as we get it."

"greg godwin

I have news from an insider at Apple re: MacWorld

- The new release will not be the G5 (this wont appear until 2nd half 2002, and will appear in a new design of PowerMacs)

- The iMac is being upgraded significantly. Flat panel yes, totally new design. SuperDrive will be an option. DVD-R will also be an option. Major difference is a wireless system (wireless LCD monitor). All will be G4's with a 1.0 GHz system topping the line (1.5 GHz later). G3 is being phased out in 2002, with new iBook (G4) and PowerBook (G5) in 2003.

- iCam, in development with Sony. Bluetooth digital camera."

All current G4 users would feel a bit pissed if the new iMac has a faster processor than the EXPENSIVE quicksilver, with the same built-to-order options...

LOL! imagine the guy that spent $6000+ for a top of the line 866MHz PowerMac G4 with all the trimmings, to only find himself cut short by a 10 year old with a 1 GHz Flat Panel iMac for only $1200 (a rough estimate)

I only have to remember when I bought that shiny new G4 500 three weeks before the Dual-processor systems where released for the same price...

that was enough, since then, I only buy directly AFTER a keynote ;)

Might be a bit more expensive, but saves you the frustration

Yes, sure some will be frustrated. But think of all those who thought 'I'll wait for MWSF...'. They'll be happy. Those will be more. If Apple didn't ever want to frustrate buyers, we'd be either using a Macintosh Plus today (68000 with 8 MHz and 1 MB RAM) or some Wintel PC. Apple HAS to release new machines faster to be competitive. Really simple, isn't it? Be happy with your great machine. It won't be any slower after the 7th, it'll just feel like it.

I don't even have enough money to buy anything after the keynotes, either ;)

And to think I paid $2500 for that original 128k Mac, now I am really pissed. How dare Apple make a faster and better computer for less money, I am appalled.

Back