Leopard resolution independence!!

I haven't checked Display prefs in Leopard, but I'll do it tomorrow. A colleague is running the latest beta on a spare MacBook, but I declined to install it myself as I use all of my computers for production.

If we really get resolution independence, we really shouldn't get to set the width and height as a number of pixels, but rather as a scale factor. At original settings, an inch on the screen should match an inch on a printout, no matter what the screens physical resolution is, right?

So if we want to change that, we should be doing it as a scale factor instead, like 50%, 75% or 150%. Kind of like the user interface resolution in the Quartz debugger. That would make more sense to me I think. As long as they don't mess upp like Photoshop of course. God I hate the percentages there, it's a bitch to explain to beginners...but I digress.

Has anyone reading this thread checked the Display preferences in Leopard?

My previous post was probably wrong, I think it'll look exactly the same in the Display Preferences in Leopard as in Tiger (I really shouldn't post after midnight).

You'll only really notice it when you do the "Ctrl+scroll" thing or use the other zoom command that I keep forgetting (in Accessibility).

It'll be just like zooming in Illustrator/FreeHand/"insert-your-favourite-vector-drawing-applications-name-here":

Text and other vector graphics will stay nice and crisp. This will include the entire standard user interface, buttons, sliders, scrollers and such, which of course means that all those things now need to be in vector format. If application manufacturers want to take advantage of this, they need to change all visual representations of UI components into Quartz drawings instead of QuickDraw or pixel graphics.

Yup, there _is_ something about it in the zooming stuff. But it doesn't actually work with resolution-independence in the current build of Leopard it seems. Hm...

Yeah the zooming so far looks all blocky. Interestingly the zooming still works even though it's turned off in the preferences. Holding CMD+scroll wheel on the mouse lets me zoom in/out.

Even in Tiger, the mouse-driven zooming is independent on the keyboard-driven zooming. It's a little strange. The keyboard mode is controlled in the Universal Access pref pane, while the mouse mode is controlled in Keyboard & Mouse.

I was wondering if resolution independence was (part of) the reason why Vista requires beefier hardware. Anyone know?

Doug

No? I thought it drew interface elements with vector gfx instead of bitmaps.

EDIT: Okay, I just Googled it. Looks like Windows Presentation Framework is vector-drawn. The rest isn't. It will cheat and scale the bitmap. They apparently have hirez bitmaps for UI elements.

Doug

Back