LGPL Question

cfleck

tired
so i've got an idea for a nice little app i'd eventually like to distribute. thing is, i'd like to use some LGPL'd code in my app.

i think section 5 of the terms and conditions applys to me, but what the hell? could they make it just a bit more confusing?
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html

can anyone explain this to me? i'm going to write it in c/c++ and it i plan on #include(ing) the LGPL'd stuff. yeah. thats it. help?

I think this is the nub of what you're looking for:

2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Library or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Library, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions:

Looks like a legal mumbo-jumbo nightmare to me. I'd advise you to go ahead and use it privately, but check with your lawyer before you actually release anything to the wide world.

i'm not going to modify the library at all actually. i'm just going to use it. i've gotten some tips from other people as well. it is a very fuzzy area.

The gist of the LGPL is that you are allowed to distribute a copy of the library (if it's a library) with your program and soft-link against it provided that you include a copy of the license and provide links to the source code of the LGPL'ed portions.

You don't have to provide the source code in your package. At minimum you only need to provide a URL or mail address to meet your obligation.

It should also be possible for the end-user to upgrade the LGPL'ed part of the software by downloading a new version of the library (for example) without having to obtain a new copy of your software package.

Back