Linux, Macs and XFree86 question.

karavite

Registered
I have Suse Linux 7.3 on one of my Mac drives and everything is going well except for XFree86. For some reason, the Suse install and utility programs tell me my video card does not support XFree v4 and is running v3. Graphics are sluggish and I'd like to see this improved. Dumb question, but is XDarwin's ability to use v4 without a problem totally unrelated to Linux's ability to not use it?

Another strange thing that may be related- I have a G4 450 agp with dual monitors and Suse Linux is running on the second monitor! This monitor is running on a PCI ATI Rage 128 Pro while the primary monitor uses the agp version of the same card. Why would this run on my second monitor? Yellow Dog and earlier versions of Suse all ran on the primary monitor.

Hey JC!

I would take you up on this, but I think this is a real weird one with dual displays. I ran the Suse XFree configure utility Sax2 and it cannot find my primary display - very weird. For now, I refuse to unplug my second monitor and video card (to see if this helps) and since they gave me 60 days free support, I might as well bug Suse about this.

I'll let you know.

I remember that when I had Suse 6.4 that I had to run xvfbswitch to configure my monitor properly (I think that is the command) I believe that if you compile the kernel though you will be able to make it see your two monitor's. I will ask some of my linux buddie's about it today at school.

Justin

If something small doesn't work...do something drastic....

I think that should be a new motto...

Or maybe...

If it ain't brokin, you aren't using it right...

Justin

Back