Lion can not map network drive on os 9.1

BigNoter

Registered
I have all file shearing set and ready to go on my 8100/80 PPC Mac OS 9.1, and I can ping it from my MacBook Pro Mac OS X 10.7.3, but I can not map any drive through "Connect to Server..." command!:confused:

Any solution, please.

TIA

Two things:

• Mapping drives is DOS/Windows parlance for handling network volumes. It refers to the practice of assigning a DOS drive letter to a volume's network address. MacOS 9 never used drive letters. MacOS X and other Unix and UNIX-like operating systems have no concept of drive letters. They have a unified file system.
  • To your major problem. AppleTalk is probably the only network protocol you have enabled to share volumes. Earlier versions of MacOS X were able to access volumes via AppleTalk, but Lion cannot.

The simplest thing is to locate a copy of MacOS 9 FTP server software. Place the files that you want to share within the file structure of the FTP server.*

*Nothing in this post implies that finding MacOS 9 server software will be easy.

Thnx MisterMe & gsahli

I installed NetPresenz, but when I transfer a file (from OS X 10.7.3 to OS 9.1 in both modes Binary & ASCII - through Firefox using FireFTP plugin) the OS 9.1 receive it as a generic file and cannot be recognized!

Any suggestions.

TIA

Last edited:
What type of file is it? Is there an app on OS 9 that will use/open the file?

Have you read about meta data and resource forks and file types, etc? These are slowly evolving in OS X.

Almost all kind of files (text and application), the only one that I noticed was a PDF file that been copied right!

Do I have to read about them! I used to know about them 20 years ago, but not any more (after I switched to windows environment)

Thnx MisterMe & gsahli

I installed NetPresenz, but when I transfer a file (from OS X 10.7.3 to OS 9.1 in both modes Binary & ASCII - through Firefox using FireFTP plugin) the OS 9.1 receive it as a generic file and cannot be recognized!

Any suggestions.

TIA
Here is the deal, gsahli is correct about resource and data forks. There is something else--CREATOR and TYPE codes. MacOS 9 and earlier versions the classic Mac OS associate files with their default applications using the CREATOR code. The OS uses the TYPE code to tell the application the filetype of a particular file. The CREATOR/TYPE code metadata reside in the resource fork of each file.

Classic Mac OS users learned to append extensions to the file name if they intended to share a file with DOS/Windows users. Without seeing your PDF file, I can state with absolute confidence that your PDF files have the .pdf extension. This is why MacOS X recognizes them as PDF files.

On one level, CREATOR/TYPE codes were an essential feature of the Classic MacOS. On another level, it was strictly a convenience feature. The scheme virtually eliminated the need for Mac users to concern themselves with filenames.

In order for MacOS X to associate files with default applications, you need to add appropriate extensions to your filenames. If you have a small number of files that don't have extensions in their names, then you may manually add the appropriate extension. If you have a lot of such files, then you need a renaming utility. The utility must have the ability to add the appropriate extension for a particular TYPE code.

The best rename utility is A Better Finder Rename. It can rename files based on metadata. However, I don't know whether or not it is able to map the TYPE code into the appropriate extension. This is a veteran utility that was available for MacOS 9. If you can't find the MacOS 9 version, then you may need to add the extension on the MacOS X side.

But why when burning the same files on CD by OS X 10.7.3, and insert the CD into OS 9.1 it recognize them with no problem? (specially an installer file that has in OS X 10.7.3 Info - "Kind: Application (Classic)" and "Name & Extension:" no extension only name, and the "Hide extension" option is grayed out!)

Earlier versions of MacOS X fully support CREATOR/TYPE codes. They use this metadata as part of a sophisticated scheme to establish the relationship between files and applications. Many MacOS X applications continue to support CREATOR/TYPE codes. This would appear to be the case with the applications that created your files.

I don't have Lion, so I can't test this out...
I think that if you copy folders using FTP, you will get the metadata (file type, creator, etc) copied along, because each folder in OS X has a hidden .DS_STORE file that contains the info for every file within.
Can you try that?

Actually thats what I did! I copied folders (it did copy .DS_STORE and unhide it) and individual files, with same result.

OK, thanks for trying.
I think your last resort is a software solution like misterme said. The two OSs use different file/creator systems, and you need some way to bridge that.

That what I got from "PublicSpace.Net Macintosh Support" the owners of "ABFR"::(

This is likely due to differences in "legacy" operating systems for the Mac versus the OS X series of operating systems. As you probably know, Apple's OS X series of operating systems were based on a BSD core; previous versions were not. This is likely the root of your problem.

My best advice is to involve yourself with community forums (the legacy OS 9 forums at apple.com, if still available, should help).

That what I got from "PublicSpace.Net Macintosh Support" the owners of "ABFR"::(
That MacOS X is based on BSD is obviously true, but has little to do with the presence or absence of CREATOR/TYPE codes.* The fact is that they still exist in Lion. With MacOS X 10 through MacOS X 10.4, they were very important. IIRC, Apple de-prioritized them in Leopard but they are still there.

*Beginning with Leopard, MacOS X has been based on the Single UNIX Specification which combines BSD, System V, and AIX.

Back