Little Problem with finding a small compiler...

thesinx

Registered
I'm looking for a small command-line c/cpp compiler for OS X. I'd just download gcc but you have to make it to install and without a compiler it's hard to make things... Who came up with that idea anyway?
The problem is that I have little HD space left (I'm running off an original iBook - 3gb HD) and I definitely don't have the space to download and install apple dev tools (notoriously large files... for me at least).
I've been looking for a .pkg version of gcc but I can't find it anywhere.
Any suggestions?

Hey,

download the Developer Tools from the Apple Developer Connection You need an Membership Account which is free, download the Tools an you got an *.pkg File with gcc, Project Builder, Interface Buider and so on...

Regards Winn

EDIT: Ups, haven't read your post close enough, sry (File Size approx 300 MB)

Just another point building GCC is a huge process in the way of disk space. If you don't have the space to download the dev tools a GCC build would break you for sure.

As for why you need a compiler to build gcc the original idea is that every unix came with a hokey compiler from the vendor which you then used to build GCC :)

-Eric

A compiler is nothing without the libraries and header files, that is, there is no C/C++ compiler which just consists of only a few small files. Make room and install the DevTools, this will provide you with everything you need. Disk space is cheaper than ever :)

Back