Lost ethernet connection

Lyra

Registered
Not sure whether this should be here or somewhere else, but here goes. Anyone got any clues as to why installing the iPod update would have hosed my ethernet connection. There's nothing wrong with the connection itself – it's working fine on my iBook (running 10.2.1), but on my G4 (10.3.3) the connection's gone. Before I plugged in my iPod and updated everything was fine, now it isn't. It's so long since I had to do anything with it that I can't even remember what to look for. I installed the latest security update a couple of days ago and it's been fine, although I see that other people have had some problems, and also with Airport, but I'm not wireless and the cable and box are obviously not the problem, or I wouldn't be here at all. I've done all the obvious things like rebooting both the computer and the box but it's apparently not going to beas easy as that. For anyone in the UK, I'm with ntl connecting via a set-top box, so calling tech support will be my last resort, if it's even worth the time spent on the phone call.

OK, found the problem once the red mist had cleared – my motto being 'when in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout' – my ethernet settings had all been wiped. But now I'm having problems with Mail and Safari. Safari is either dog slow or gives an unable to connect message. Mail keeps taking my accounts off-line and won't send. Entourage and IE are both fine and IE is accessing sites that Safari says it can't so I know the problem isn't with the sites I've tried. I've repaired permissions and 'fsck'ed. I haven't yet trashed preferences in case I don't have to. Anyone else had a similar problem and solved it? I really don't want to go back to Entourage and IE ...

Try moving the prefs instead of trashing. That way you can replace them if it's not that.

Back