Lost Files & Application Problems/PB-G4

EdwardPaul

Registered
Hello,

First of all, my mac sofware is mac os x/Panther 10.3.9 I am having a problem I hope you can help me with.

I was trying to back up my files to an external harddrive today and ran into a password problem, so I reset the admin password. I inserted the install disc, restarted the computer with the install dics still inserted, held the C botton/key while the computer restarted, then I clicked install from the toolbar menu, followed by reset admin password option, I reset the password, and then clicked do not install which then led me a restart menu, I hit restart again with the install disc still inserted, the log-in menu came up, I entered my password, it worked, when my computer was completely restarted I noticed all my desktop files were gone, as well as , my itunes and iphoto files.

The weirdest part of it all, is that my memory in Finder for recent files and recent folders was still correct. However, I could only pull up word docs. I could not retrieve photos or music files. Also, if I click on any of the applications, they start up like it's the first time I have ever used them. They ask me to except the terms ect...

I hope you can help. Thank you.

Edward Paul

Hi Edward

If you navigate to /Users/ on the hard drive, what do you see in there?
Do you have multiple user accounts on the machine?
Which account password did you reset using the boot disk?

Ed

Back