Lost OS9 - want it back..

aicul

Registered
I have a PowerBook that can pre-installed with OS10.2 and OS9. Further to my upgrade to OS10.3, the OS9 has gone.

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of OS9 that runs on OS10.3 and a Powerbook? Thanks

It should be on one of the discs that came with your PowerBook, typically the one labelled "Extras" or "Accessories".

It should be on the PB's software restore discs. If
software restore doesn't give you the option of
just installing OS9, get Pacifist (versiontracker.com)
to extract the appropriate package(s) to HD, then
double-click the pkg file to install.

How did you upgrade? OS 9 should still be there if you did a preserve and install.

Cheryl said:
How did you upgrade? OS 9 should still be there if you did a preserve and install.

I upgraded using the disks that apple SELLS for 10.3. I did not preserve and install as I wanted a clean swipe.

I did not succede to install os9 using my 10.2 disks.

Actually I'm annoyed at Apple selling me 10.3 without os9 on it. :mad:

Rather than be annoyed, should have rtfm'ed. Anyway, you should still be able to restore Classic from the original disks you havem even if you have upgraded. Also, you should have a backup plan in place for time such as this.

Whatever rtfm'ed means, I'm sure that this was the right thing to do - but unfortunately I didn't.

Yes, I have a backup plan but installing OSX is a day job once you get everything back into place, I just can't face the boredom another time. :eek:

When I tried my 10.2 distribution disks to install os9, I always get a install 10.2 option, I see no os9 option. So maybe I have the right disks but I (rtfm'ed to myself) am doing something really silly.

Have you tried using Pacifist for extrcation? Can be found at versiontracker or macupdate.

What's your backup plan? If you have an external HD, you can make it bootable via Carbon Copy Cloner and either run Classic off of that, or use it as a mirrror. Then, if something such as this happened again, you'd simply need to copy the Classic stuff back over (a DVD or iPod are other options for this).

BTW, RTFM means read the freakin' manual. ;)

Randman said:
Have you tried using Pacifist for extrcation? Can be found at versiontracker or macupdate.

What's your backup plan? If you have an external HD, you can make it bootable via Carbon Copy Cloner and either run Classic off of that, or use it as a mirrror. Then, if something such as this happened again, you'd simply need to copy the Classic stuff back over (a DVD or iPod are other options for this).

BTW, RTFM means read the freakin' manual. ;)

Randman, thanks for your advice but it is a little off the subject. I guess you are perfect and know eveything. I'm human and use a Mac as it generally is very forgiving.

Well, actually I'm almost perfect, but thanks for the kind words. And my comments were not off-topic, entirely. Having a viable backup would have meant you had Classic back in minutes. And you haven't said if you tried Pacificist.
I can understand your frustration but in asking for help and suggestions, you should be aware that answers and comments may vary.
Perhaps if you were as forgiving as you claim the Mac to be, there wouldn't be this problem.
Anyway, I offered my comments and suggestions. And since you seem resistant to listening to a view not entirely in line with yours, I'll ignore this thread from here on. Good luck.

Just to set things straight and to avoid having getting another near perfect Randman upset - which is not my intention :( .

I have made a Clean installation on my PowerBook to upgrade 10.2 to 10.3. I did this to avoid any possible OSX confusion or quirk.

This means I wish to use my backup only to recover my personal files or to move back to 10.2. Restoring OS9 from my backup may restore OS9 but conflicts seriously with the concept of Clean install.

When I installed 10.3 I just followed the installation process. So, I'm sorry Cherly :eek: but I do not recall confirming or negating installation of any ressource (ie drivers) relating to OS9.

Concerning the link (thanks bobw) this is most welcome and will be what I will do next. This looks promising :D .

By default, the instalation disk won't include Classic. You can do this, however, by clicking on the Custom button and toggling what you want to include and exclude.
Also, while I can understand wanting a clean install, since Classic is a different OS than X, copying it over from a backup won't impact OSX at all, though one should always repair permissions after any major tweaking to the operating system.

Great news I have OS9 working again. I'm a happy bunny.

bobw your directions were correct. For some strange reason I have a 10.2 install CD that auto-starts, but hidden in the CD there is a package file that includes the OS9 goodies.

Thanks to all :D

Back