Lynx

rfm

Registered
I have downloaded the latest version of Lynx (2.8.4 compiled for Jaguar). It installed without a problem but now I don't know how to start it. I feel pretty stupid but the only thing I can find on my harddrive is a kernel extension called AppleLynx.kext. I am a total newbie when it comes to Unix but this is odd :confused: Who has the answer? Thanks.

Thanks. I gave it a try but Terminal only returns the line: "lynx: Command not found." Should I run the command from a specific directory I wonder?

Ah, that's pretty easy to fix. By default, lynx gets put into /usr/local/bin which isn't part of your path variable by default. In other words, the shell doesn't know it's installed. To add that directory to the path, open up the file /etc/csh.login with your favorite text editor. Change this line
Code:
setenv PATH "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
so that it looks more like this
Code:
setenv PATH "/usr/local/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"

Notice the addition of /usr/local/bin at the beginning of the string. Save the file, and restart the shell (Command-W, Command-N is a quick way of doing it.)

davidbrit2,

Thanks for that helpful tip to rfm. I also downloaded Lynx to run on my iBook at work (dialup only), and had the same problem. I assumed it was a path problem, and now you have helped! Thanks!

FYI: if you install a new executable even into a directory that's in your path, tcsh doesn't immediately know about it. If you type 'rehash', then the command should be found.

I know it is possible to color my links in Lynx, but I've not been able to do it.

I've installed it, on iMac, and iBook, and it runs fine, but I'd like to color my links.

Help would be appreciated.

TIA

Please ignore my last post on this thread.

I am relatively new to Terminal and didn't realize that the "bold" color setting applied to links.

Back