.mac activation problem

Raibert

Registered
Could you assist me with a problem which I have with my .mac (your life on the internet)

I purchased .mac and used my key number to activate my membership. My registering details to Apple appear to have been mixed up. Whenever I enter my activation key number and enter my Member Name and Password, I receive a reply informing me ‘‘That key has already been used’’.

Can anyone assist?

Thanking you,

Robert

Last edited:
JL should be good!

I would have a word with them. I took an Airport Extreme card back and they swapped it out. Customer service was good.

Either that or check with Apple.

Unfortunately I no longer have the .mac receipt.

I have already contacted Apple. This was the reply I received from ‘Andrea’:-
‘Your activation key has been used to activate the account macoinnich@mac.com. Active from October 24, 2007 - October 23, 2008. I trust this will be to your satisfaction. Should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to reply to this email.’

This was my reply to ‘Andrea’:-
Thank you for the above email. I entered my activation key number and entered macoinnich@mac.com and password. I received the same reply as before:- ‘That key has already been used’’.

It is now eight days since I contacted Apple. I have sent three emails. Neither ‘Andrea’ nor Apple have replied. Apple could probably sort this out but they refuse to become involved.

Thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

Any possibility that you were, in fact, successful in setting up the account?

Try logging into .mac with your username and password.

I was thinking that too, but I wasn't near the computer until now...

The other problem I remember having back at the start is that .Mac and Apple Mail use the same password. If you change one you change the other. Confused me at first, but it was three years ago, and I'd forgotten.

Hi Ibj / sgould,

I logged into .mac as you suggested - received the notice:- INVALID MEMBER NAME OR PASSWORD.

I have now received the following email reply from ‘Andrea’ at Apple.

‘‘Dear Mr. McKenzie,

The last email that we have received from you is blank.
If you need any further assistance with your .mac account please reply to this email.

Kind Regards,
Andrea
.Mac support’’

Someone from Apple must have been reading this website!
Can’t understand what ‘Andrea’ means when she claims my last email was blank. Both my emails to ‘Andrea’ were quite clearly shown in ‘Andrea’s reply.

I have replied to ‘Andrea’s’ email and await the reply.

I will keep the forum up to date as to what happens - sure to be of assistance to some other with the same problem.

Thanks again to you both (ibj & sgould)

As a last ditch effort, use your email address as above but use the "forgotten password" option. Maybe you were successful in registering your name but not the password.

Maybe the system that .mac team got the reply without what you wrote.

Is macoinnich@mac.com the email or account you originally opened at .mac?
Or is that from someone else?
Whatever shows in their system is it was registered to taht account on 24th October.

Log in at www.mac.com, then on left pane, "account". You'll come to the page where you can see how your account is set up.
Account Settings
XYZ, your account will expire on September 14, 2008 PST.
There has to be a similar line there.

To 1bj and Giaguara,

Doesn’t matter what I do I am blocked by the same notice - ‘‘That key has already been used.’’

Mix-up may lie in the fact that I signed on to the sixty day trial. During this period I purchased ‘‘.mac Your life On the Internet’’ (£60plus wasted?) Can’t remember if I was given an activation key with the sixty day trial - if so - I would then have two activation keys being used concurrently and maybe a different password. Also, during this time I changed macs from a G4 to an imac.
Problem may well be of my own making but it looks as if Apple are the only solution - they hold the details.

Thanks again for your time and advice.

Don’t know if anybody is still reading this thread.

Success at last - managed to get into my account - probably some gremlin when I changed from G4 to imac.

Thanks to all who replied - much appreciated - and thanks to Gregory at .Mac support.

Back