Mac apps run but don't show

Jake Peters

Registered
For three successive weekends, I have arrived on a Monday morning after leaving my Mac (Dual 2GHz-G5, OS X 10.3.4) on for the weekend only to find that the Mac applications (Mail, Safari, Address Book) appear to launch (I see the icon with the little triangle under it in the Dock), but I can't see them on the desktop. I've run Disk Utitlities (repair volume and preferences) and that didn't work. My solution has been to reinstall OS X (archiving the old version and keeping the preferences and network settings) and followed by running software upgrade a couple of times to get all of the upgrades. This is more than aggrevating and I haven't seen any threads that deal with this problem.

Can anyone suggest a solution other than wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS and software from scratch?

Zammy-Sam said:
Setup a new user account and test your system. Still the same probs? -> reinstall

I'll have to wait until another long "inactive spell", probably next week, which seems symtopmatic of the problem and when the problem occurs again, I'll try your suggestion -- I rebuilt the OS yesterday and the Mac applications still seem to be showing.

Thanks

PS: I wonder if today's post -- "no applications start" is a report of the same problem.

Back