Mac Backup Software

bscott3125

Registered
Hi everyone. New to the board, somewhat new to Mac, but experienced with computers in general.

I'm using the Mac Backup software (the one that requires a .mac account) and it works just great other than it seems to want to do an incremental backup with no way to change this.

Is there away around this. I'd just assume it overwrite what's there (destination drive) with a new backup.

Additionally is there a way to "verify" the backup (make sure the backup is good) upon completion.

Thanks!!

-Brent

bscott3125 said:
...it seems to want to do an incremental backup with no way to change this.

Is there away around this. I'd just assume it overwrite what's there (destination drive) with a new backup.

Additionally is there a way to "verify" the backup (make sure the backup is good) upon completion.
  1. Yep that is the only kind of Backup it does
  2. The only way around it is to use another backup utility
  3. See answer 2

Even with these significant limitations Backup 3 is a substantial improvement over previous versions of Backup.

perfessor101 said:
  1. Yep that is the only kind of Backup it does
  2. The only way around it is to use another backup utility
  3. See answer 2

Even with these significant limitations Backup 3 is a substantial improvement over previous versions of Backup.

That's what I was afraid of.....any recommendations for a different backup utility.

It all depends on what kind of backups you want to do and what media you want to backup to. You might take a look at this article on backup strategies first. After that there are any number of backup utilities at a cost ranging from free to around $100. Generally the more expensive the more features and options you get. Search Versiontracker for "backup" and you will get seven pages of utilities to choose from.

I use SuperDuper for cloning, Apple Backup 3 for my most critical files that are backed up to .Mac, and Tri-Backup for my regular nightly incremental backups of my home folder. All have been reliable for the purposes I use them for.

Back