Mac based POS (Point of Sale) system

MDLarson

Registered
Do we have any retailers on the board who use Macs for point of sale computers? What, if any, are the problems associated with using Macs?

I've been trying to research this topic, and it appears as if there are more than a few Mac POS software applications that are FileMaker based, which is cool with me.

However, I am unsure of all the hardware aspects of it. Bar code scanners? Credit card readers? Do I need an active internet connection for credit card authorization, or is it just a modem dial-up?

ANY advice will be helpful. :)

That's a good link. I actually wasn't aware of that page. Apparently Google.com isn't the only place to look... :)

I know that there is one out there that is OS X based and worked with a bar code reader and even controlled a cash drawer that you plugged into the USB port. My father was looking at it when he started his bid-ness last year. I cannot remember the name of it but he said that it looked to be real nice and had a demo that you could download. I think he said it was like 500 bucks and the cash drawer was like 110 or something like that. try versiontracker.com maybe. I did make a crude one from filemaker about 5 years ago. I made it for a specific business that had a sever budget when I was in college. My skillset in FM is so much better now that i just don't like showing that one. How complex are you needing it to be? are you looking for it to keep track of inventory also?

Well, I'm trying to get a feel for the entire POS market. The question I'm trying to nail is whether or not to recommend a PC vs. Mac system to my dad, who is starting a dog and cat boarding place. So far, I see little reason to discriminate against the Mac in this case, and I think that's what I'll tell him.

To answer your question, the kennel will be mostly tracking animals and all that, but it will also have an honest-to-goodness retail side with the small store that will be in the same building...

Honestly, I don't know too much of the specifics, as we haven't even broken ground on it. Just getting a feel for things and any specific walls that Mac users have run up against in the POS stuff.

We are a Mac consulting firm in Chitown and NYC with a couple of our clients
using POSum. No issues to date as well as the service they provide is top notch.

james

Back