Mac Book Pro Won't Wake Won't Boot, which?

ivywalkon

Registered
My buddy has 17” Mac Bk Pro G5 with Intel Core 2 Duo processor. I think it won’t wake. He thinks it won’t boot.
Any ways, have tried the known fixes. Centered around the issue of Resetting System Management Control for Mac Book and Mac Book Pros. Have put the install disc & tried to boot from that as another fix. Have tried sequence of force quit, then pound-control-power reset, then power down; as recommended by apple. My buddy has previously tried resetting the pram, which never worked. And also had tried the SMC fix of powering down, removing battery, powering down again for 5 seconds, putting it back in, ... and then trying to boot it up. You can hear I guess a whining and sometimes the fan, i.e. just when you think it’s about to boot up, it doesn’t. And the sleep light is burning steady. Can anyone help?

...You can hear I guess a whining and sometimes the fan, i.e. just when you think it’s about to boot up, it doesn’t. And the sleep light is burning steady. Can anyone help?

- I have the same problem, but with a macbook pro 15" core 2 duo. steady sleep light (on the faintest illumination), start up chime, but no apple logo. total black screen. This happened after opening the lid when the computer had been sleeping for a couple of hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers; tried the PRAM reset to no avail;
phoned apple service centre - my macbook pro was still under warranty so they replaced the graphics card foc.

to summarise:

- macbook pro 15/2.4/4GB was asleep; opened lid, sleep light stayed on, screen was black.
- fan still spinning, hard drive & system seemed ok (i could access the hard drive & user accounts from another computer over a wireless network. i could still press the power button and then "enter" and the computer would shut down as normal, which led me to believe it was just the video output to the screen not working. external display was not working either, so most likely the whole graphics card is suspect.
- this was confirmed by next byte service centre; graphics card replaced under warranty (took about a week). job done; all good.

cheers for the replies.

Back