Mac & excel file transfer from windows to mac

bagman67

Registered
Will my Excel & Word Files work on the newest OS for MAC? I know MAC has Microsoft Word and Excel but if I save all my files to a flash drive will I be able to transfer them to the MAC and will they work? This is why Im nervous about getting a mac.... All my Excel and Word files are the older version of MS OFFICE 97-2003 format... should everything be ok??

Get and use OpenOffice [free]. There should be no problem.

iWork's Numbers and Pages will also open them but are less compatible.

If you really must, get Microsoft Office 2008. It looks nice but there seems to be a lot of people who are migrating away from it.

May I say one thing.

You are obviously VERY apprehensive about your move to the Mac. Like many PC users you base that on all the difficulties that you have endured under Windows.

You have an absolute safety net, which is to use Boot Camp [comes free w OSX] or Parallels or VMware Fussion or VirtualBox [free] to run Windows on your Mac. I also assume you will still have your old PC as well.

However in practice you will find you can simply open most (not all) files in OSX using equivalent software. After your nervousness has faded you will stop hanging onto your security blanket and probably throw it in the trash.

Back