Mac OS 9.2.2 OpenTransport Crashing 266mhz Bondi iMac

speedraycer

Registered
I did a clean install of 9.2.2 on a Bondi Blue iMac G3 266. The computer has 288 Megs of RAM. I cannot figure out why OpenTransport would crash the computer after just one clean boot. When the extentions load, the OT extention is 1st, then the comp just locks up. I need to get this running for a friend who just bought the comp, and it is his 1st computer, now he's thinking of "getting a Dell, dude". I am doing what I can to avoid this unpleasent situation.

Alternate situation:

What is the possibility of running 10.2 on his system? I think the memory in the comp would be okay, but I just need to know before I switch the hard drive over to Jag.

Thanks all,

James

Panther would probably run better than Jag on this machine. I have Panther on my iMac and it runs noticeably faster than when I had Jag. I have 384 MB RAM on mine and it seems to run fine. Granted its not going to break and speed records but it works and I can get things done. Definitely not a gaming machine either, unless you are planning on running simple shareware games or the like. If you still want to keep 9 then you probably would be better off by doing a complete low level format of the drive and then install 9. You would not believe how much better things run after a refreshing low level format.

If this is your friends first computer, DO NOT put OS X on it. He'll hate it because it'll be so slow compared to OS 9 or a PC. Wipe the drive and reinstall OS 9 - but 9.2.1 is as far as you want to go, not 9.2.2, that's only needed if you're also running OS X.

The trick is to find out what is loading after Open Transport. Did you move anything over from Previous system folder to the new extension folder?

As Bob said... use 9.2.1 (not 9.2.2). Make sure you run Disk First Aide before and after installing.

In response to finding out what is loading after OT, I should just boot up with OT off and watch the next extention, correct? How do I change the order of the extentions booting up?

Hold down the space bar when you're booting up. The Extension Manager will pop up. Turn off Open Transport and press continue. (On our G3, this has caused the computer to react very slowly in the past, so you may need to reboot after it finishes.)

Back