Mac OS programs on OS X

Metroid2005

Registered
I have recently downloaded a couple of OS freeware games, programs, etc. to my OS X computer. This is my first time owning a mac (I'm in love, way better then the XP sitting next to me.), and I didn't knkow they wouldn't work. So, I would want to know this: Is there a way to play these games, without having to buy an old os computer?

Welcome to the forum and the world of Macintosh. :)

What games are we talking about here? Are they OS X native? Are they games for OS 9 and below? If it's the latter, then you'll need the Classic environment installed on your Mac. If you have the discs that came with that Mac, a copy of OS 9 should be available to install. Otherwise, you'll have to buy a retail version of OS 9.2.2.

If these games are OS X native, then it's just a matter of opening up the compressed file and installing the game to Applications. For most apps, it's just a matter of taking the application icon in the disk image that appears after you expand the compressed file and dragging it to the Applications folder in your Macintosh hard drive. Others will have a .pkg file in there that will launch an installer. Those are the two main ways of installing the apps.

As far as removing them if you decide you don't want to keep them, those that were dragged to the Applications folder can be removed by just dragging said application icon from Applications to the Trash and then emptying the Trash. For those that were installed using an installer, there's usually an uninstaller included with the app. For these, it's best to read the documentation when it comes to installation.

Let us know how you fare. :)

Back