MAC OS Upgrade

RAID

Registered
Hi,

I had MAC OS 10.0 on G3 233 MHz and 288 MB RAM. I upgraded it easily to 10.0.4 trough combo update and I would like to update it to 10.1.5.
I downloaded combo update 10.1.5 but I could not update system.
Where I do make mistake and what I need to do on my MAC to update to 10.1.5? I am beginner in MAC world.

Thanks,

RAID

The 10.1.5 combo update is for a 10.1 system (puma). You got a 10.0 system (cheetah).
10.x updates are major updates for which you have to pay.
Few days ago I changed my 10.3.9 macosx (panther) to 10.4.0 (tiger) and had to pay 79€ for it.

But it is possible to download combo 10.1.5 for free. You are saying it is not posible to update from 10.0.4 to 10.1 or 10.1.5? I need to buy 10.1?

Thanks,
RAID

Yes, you can download the 10.1.5 updater, but it is useless if you don't have the 10.1 system, which is not free... on eBay you can find it for really low prices (below 10$...)

yep, you need to buy something new, but don't go for 10.1, Go for at least 10.2 or above as they are _much_ more stable as well as being faster.

yes. that is correct. and you can't buy 10.1 any more. the updates are free, but only work within a major revision number, eg: 10.2.8 update works on 10.2.x..

you may be able to pick up a copy of panther cheap now that tiger is out. i have panther on a 266mhz imac, and it runs fine : )

Well, for historical information....

10.1 (when released in 2001) was a free upgrade for people who were running 10.0.x. The CDs were given away (again, for free) at Apple authorized resellers or could be bought from Apple online for the cost of shipping and handling ($19.95).

As this was a free upgrade, I have always done the upgrade to 10.1 (and then updated it to 10.1.5) for only the cost of my time for my clients.

I would imagine that you could find a good Mac consultant/service person who would be willing to upgrade you to 10.1. As there are some hurdles getting from 10.1 to 10.1.5, the price for such a person's time might actually be worth it for you.

I carry 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 CDs with me as part of my work kit (along with all the updaters to get systems to 10.0.4, 10.1.5, 10.2.8 and 10.3.9 on a few CDs for clients with slow internet connections). I would be surprised if I'm the only person who does this for a living that is at least this prepared.

Lt Major Burns said:
get panther - it is everything a good OS should be, and should be quite cheap now. it's lovely
Panther might not run on his machine. Weren't USB and firewire ports requirements for panther to install at all?

Zammy-Sam said:
Panther might not run on his machine. Weren't USB and firewire ports requirements for panther to install at all?
USB was required for Panther, Firewire for Tiger. But Jaguar was able to run on anything that could run 10.0.x, so that would be a good option (and would run way better than 10.1.5).

Yea, USB (stock, not upgrade cards) is a requirement so Panther isn't supposed to run on beige models, but it can be done.

ok. everyone obviously missed what i said. I have Panther (10.3) running on my parents iMac 266Mhz with 288Mb RAM and while it isn't a speed demon, it runs fine.

Back