Mac OS X 10.4.11 finder crashing repeat

mindpunch

Registered
I am having the same problem as this guy.

"I'm on a dual 800MHz G4 w/1GB Ram. I only use this cpu for basic internet and email. Monday I booted it up and it said a new version of Quicktime is available. I don't remember what version it said, but I told the prompt to go ahead and automatically update it. I did the update and restarted the cpu. Once it was restarted, I opened up iChat, Mail, Safari etc. I was in my mail program writing an email and all of a sudden it kicked me out to the finder level. Kinda like I took the mouse and clicked off the mail screen onto the desktop. So, I clicked back onto mail and proceeded. Next I was on the internet in safari and it did the same thing to me. It's so annoying b/c it does it when I'm in the middle of writing, it doesn't care, it just acts as if I'm clicking on the desktop....by the way it'll do it even when I'm not running any other applications. I'll be sitting there looking at the desktop, (no applications running) and all of a sudden all the icons and such disappear from my desktop for a quick second and then come back and acts as if everything's ok.
I've tried to fix it by the following:
Booted in safe mode - no change
Ran diskwarrior 3 times - no change
Restarted w/apple/option/o/f held down. reset-nvram set-defaults reset-all
Repaired permissions - no change
Anyhow, while even writing this to the forum, it happened at least six times.

Oh what to do?!?? Anyone w/help would greatly be appreciated. And by the way it has Quicktime 7.6 installed. There are no software updates available either. This is the weirdest thing! So annoying!
Thanks!"

I reinstalled the combo update as well with no change.
I am on a PowerBook G4 Power PC 2GB RAM

Back